HOW TO UPDATE FROM 13.1 TO 13.2 *STICKY*
Why is it every time there is an update, I have to spend a half an hour figuring out the command to upgrade.

Why can no one make a sticky.

Why can no one put the commands on the update or download page.

I am using the xbmcubuntu version.

This one is useless, all it does is tell you how to upgrade from a beta or to install a beta.

This one is useless too, stating "you can just "fire up" Putty" - but no instructions are suggested, am I supposed to believe that putty will do everything for me once its fired up?

All it does is take me here. There ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS ANYWHERE IT WOULD SEEM!

Please make this simple procedure a sticky avoiding stupid threads like mine.

Oh well, for my own future reference.

Start KODIubuntu.

Press ctrl + alt + f2

Login

Enter the follow commands.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Wait.

Reboot.
Well OMG, that is the same instruction like any other Linux program you want to update
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-09-15, 06:39)PizzaCat Wrote: sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

That seems far to difficult to remember.
And aside from that, the Team_XBMC_PPA (wiki) really is hard to follow/read and you cant find it in any google searches and requires trying skills. not to meantion the other 556 threads that already point to that wiki page and other tons of info.
This is an appliance, I should not have to know the innards of my fridge to get it to work, press a button and hey presto it does an update.

Instead of being snarky, could you please give me the direct link to the wiki page that tells me how to do an update, because I did search for it and could not find it.

Typical linux community hasn't changed in 10 years with the greater than thou attitude.

Don't worry, I found it.

2.5 How do I install XBMC?

After adding or removing any ppa you need to refresh your sources list and finally install XBMC, by typing:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

How does this differ from what I did earlier?
It differs because it is documented to ad nauseam as I readily showed you It can be sought via some search engine and has been talked about 200 times in these forums -- I gave you the link (not much to ask from anyone - to press a TOC link or scroll down), not only that I updated the whole wiki that you moaned about regarding this. (which you should have done in first place Smile)

Not to mention (but I will) I actually created and maintain that wiki page and others, so YOU - before proceeding with your derogatory and slightly insulting remarks about snarky comments, you should in future consider contributing to the project like I did and do - as a simple community fellow and XBMC user, instead of moaning and complaining, Wink

That said moaning and complaining is what the typical user-base does, and that has never changed (Talk about greater than thou) crap attitudes like yours.

Unlike your 10 years estimates about general Linux communities which afaik learning how to do package management via apt is not the responsibility of any given projects immho, but I have taken it upon my shoulder to document that and much more for benefit of ALL community and including ingrates Wink

In addition also created Updating_or_upgrading_XBMC_linux (wiki) which redirects to that page to help google searches in future as well.

Sorry if that was harsh, but that's the way it is for all opensource anyone with any skills can help improve.
I thought on Ubuntu and XBMCbuntu the XBMC update check add-on also has the option to trigger an apt-get update/upgrade for XBMC? Or maybe is remember incorrectly.
If you want automatic update you can try OpenELEC
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2014-09-18, 05:27)Ned Scott Wrote: I thought on Ubuntu and XBMCbuntu the XBMC update check add-on also has the option to trigger an apt-get update/upgrade for XBMC? Or maybe is remember incorrectly.

it has, but its disabled because of issues between python-dbus and our integrated python.
@ uNiversal

I am referring to comments such as "Well OMG, that is the same instruction like any other Linux program you want to update" and "That seems far to difficult to remember." as being snarky.

The link that you provided did not provide any information as to update my XBMC software, all it does is gives the instructions on how to use apt get, so I do not know why you are on your high horse and telling me otherwise. There is no "this is what you need to type to do an update" explicitly.

After your big rant, you still didn't say if what I posted was correct or not, so like I said, it seems like the linux community has not changed in regards to their arrogance towards casual users such as my self.

And to not mention that I am not contributing, what do you think this post is all about. You mentioned that this is asked all the time, so why don't you do as I suggested and make it a sticky. Or does moaning about idiots give you some sort of sick pleasure. If you do not like critisizm maybe you are not the right person to be maintaining the wiki.

@ lrusak

Is the OpenELEC community a bit nicer than this one?
(2014-09-22, 08:45)PizzaCat Wrote: Is the OpenELEC community a bit nicer than this one?

No.

You still wont be spoon fed.

fire up your windows 8 box and run as admin with no trojan / malware / virus / ......etc.etc protection and have the OS consume 15 GB of space and with 10 gig of memory...blah blah.

There is a reason you picked linux. How about trying to atleast learn it?
I'm actually with PizzaCat on this one. Normally I agree and say people should do some research and not expect to be spoon fed. However, Linux is very daunting to some people (even myself for many things in Linux, still), and this specifically is the kind of thing that people should be able to find our in our documentation.

Plus, much of our existing Linux wiki documentation was way too verbose, making it needlessly difficult to understand such things. Much to uNiversal's disapproval, I've begun fixing that on our wiki.

There are a lot of tech savvy people who only need linux for XBMC/Kodi. They don't want to learn the command line or how to compile, they just want to have a functional media center. I think that's okay and a sign of how mature Linux-based OSes have become. As long as they're willing to learn, since XBMC/Kodi itself still has a bit of a learning curve. Even learning about Linux itself really isn't the issue here.
Thank you Ned Scott.

You are the first person on the internet who has agreed with something I've said, even if it was said with frustration.

I really appreciate your attitude and patience, it makes people want to learn and to help others, you know, to be part of a community.

I bow to you sir. Smile
(2014-09-26, 00:56)PizzaCat Wrote: You are the first person on the internet who has agreed with something I've said

Nuff said. Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO UPDATE FROM 13.1 TO 13.2 *STICKY*0