Which of these boxes?
Hi,
I am looking to achieve the following.
Have standalone TV box that will be mainly used for XBMC.
Have the option to be wired and use over WiFi.
Be simple to use/update (elderly parents).

As there are no many options I am struggling to find help with choosing.
I quite like the look of these 2 -

http://www.retailgadgets.co.uk/Minix-Neo...B-RAM.html
and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-M8-U-M8-...2ed2492ecc

Are these any good or can you suggest an alternative?
Appreciate your help.
Al
Buy an Intel NUC instead or look at the CuBox-i (i2ex or i4pro), both can run Openelec and are in the same price range. No Android limitations and Openelec is easy to update, plus if your parents have a HDMI-CEC TV the CuBox-i can work with so no separate remote needed.

Android boxes are too clumsy in my personal opinion, but if going for an Android box get the Amazon FireTV which is the best quality one available now (launching in UK in October). Google have their own AndroidTV OS due at the end of the year, products using that will be pretty much the same deal as the FireTV with a UI and apps designed around a standard TV remote.

The general Android boxes you list have good hardware but the android tablet OS is too clunky in set top box form and if your parents ever want to use the Android apps those get real messy without an air mouse as the UI is designed for touch.
Thanks Starstream that's really helpful!
I will look at those options.
Do you know of any sites that sell them that are reliable?
I like the look of the Amazon Fire TV.
Shame I have to wait till the end of October (UK)
For the NUC any computer place in the UK should sell them, Dabs, Scan or even Amazon UK.

The CuBox-i can be bought from Solidrun's website direct but they also have some partners that sell it in other countries, the CuBox-i is essentially a faster/better Raspberry Pi but you could go with the R-Pi too if you think your parents will be okay with something that runs a bit slower UI wise.
I heard NUC is decent. what about a remote? something which Kids / Elders can use.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which of these boxes?0