[REQUEST] Windows-based stand-alone library updater (mySQL)
Hey guys,

using mySQL for library seems to be popular, both to use same library on multiple XBMC devices and to speed things up. However this requires XBMC to be running, which is not an option on i.e. various versions of Windows Server.

Take my scenario as an example:
I have a Windows homeserver 2011 server with a large amount of media running 24/7 (which pretty much is a Windows 2008 R2 installation). I've seen lots of others on the forum using same server setup. I am planning on installing my mySQL library on the server and ideally I would like my library updates to be performed on the same box. It's the only box I have on 24/7, updating library locally will be faster and it will generate less network traffic. Installing XBMC on the server is not possible, and even if it was it would drag way more resources than needed (I would only use XBMC on the homeserver to update library).

Lots of people use windows based storage systems, and lots of people run XBMC from boxes that are "weak" hardware wise (Raspberry PI, or in my case Mini-X Neo). I can install the mySQL library on my homeserver and perform library updates from the Mini-X XBMC, but it will still be slow and I will experience stuttering during library updates.

So I'm really hoping someone will be interested in coding a Windows based stand-alone library updater. I'm sure this would benefit a large amount of people with mySQL library on Windows based storage system. I've seen this has been made for NAS boxes but apparently there is no such windows based tool available.

Thanks for listening, looking forward to hearing input from you guys.
I managed to get XBMC running in a VMware virtual machine. This updates my MySQL db with the auto update script.
(2014-09-16, 19:47)Ballistic Wrote: I managed to get XBMC running in a VMware virtual machine. This updates my MySQL db with the auto update script.

Hi, as a matter of fact I managed to get XBMC running on my Windows Homeserver this evening by installing Teamviewer as a service and starting XBMC through my Teamviewer session. Configuring the library + watchdog add-on to keep track of changes right now.

Still, I think a stand-alone library updater would be a brilliant idea. Keeping entire XBMC running in the background 24/7 will for sure drag more resources than needed to update library, plus it would be much more convenient to manage. Anyone with a windows-based storage system would benefit from a stand-alone updater.
FYI, the developer of WatchDog XBMX add-on, which basically does exactly what I am requesting (only within XBMC), said the following when I asked him about making a stand-alone Windows-based version of WatchDog:
"I don't have any interest in this myself, but if you find someone who is, it should be perfectly doable to modify watchdog to run standalone. It's "only" a matter of removing the xbmc specific parts. Most of it is already independent of xbmc and cross platform" (in the end of the WatchDog thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1799120)

So if any developers out there sees the benefit, maybe a modified version of WatchDog would be the way to go? Still hoping I eventually will see such a tool, would be awesome.
Take care

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Windows-based stand-alone library updater (mySQL)0