[BUG] Bad rendering of subtitles in stereoscopic modes
Hey everyone.

The algorithm that XBMC uses to render 3d subtitles seems wrong.
It's kind of hard to explain, but it seems that instead of creating a "2d" render of the text with the proper outline and styling (bold/italic/etc) and then resizing it to 50% width or height (SBS or TAB), XBMC just renders the text at half-width or half-height then applies the styling.

Let me illustrate what I mean and what problem it creates. This is how XBMC renders when in SBS mode:

and this is how it looks like on the TV:
As you can see, the italic text is way too "italic" (diagonal) and hard to read.. This happens because the italic text was not first rendered then resized.

Similarly, this is how XBMC renders for Over/Under (Top and Bottom):

and this is how it looks like on the TV:
As you can see, now it's even less "italic" than it should be, looks almost regular and also the outline of the text smaller than it should be.

Obviously, it shouldn't matter if you choose TAB or SBS, both should result in the same image on the TV.

This is how the image was supposed to look like on the tv had it been rendered correctly:

and this is how xbmc should have rendered it for sbs and tab to achieve the correct result:
SBS:

TAB:
http://s18.postimg.org/55x5kfh7d/correct_tab.jpg

What do you think?
Also, is posting here good enough or should I submit a bug report somewhere?

Thanks!
It's been reported by me some time ago. Here's the link:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14689
Yea, I found your ticket after posting this. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is currently actively trying to fix this =/

The way stereoscopic GUI is achieved is wrong at the moment. Instead of rendering full res then scaling to 50%, XBMC renders at 50% from the start.

I can only hope someone fixes this soon.
It's been over 2 years and the issue is still there. Such a disappointment.
I reopened the ticket. No idea why it was closed.
Thanks for that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[BUG] Bad rendering of subtitles in stereoscopic modes0