Req Disable audio delay settings when using passthrough
I've thought about proposing this feature for a while, esp. since it is behaving consistently between all versions of XBMC I've tested since Gotham and now the Helix alpha builds.

In brief:

I normally run an audio delay of 0.175ms, which causes perfect sync for transcoded streams such as FLAC 5.1. However, when outputting audio using passthrough (which I mostly use for DTS-HD MA or DTS Core streams), the delay has to be removed, i.e set to 0ms.

Since XBMC has a 'one-setting-to-rule-them-all' regarding audio delay (set it for the whole library), one either has to manually override this for all media using DTS(HD)/Dolby Digital or manually add it for the files which require a delay.

So my feature suggestion would be–
  • add a setting to disable audio delay when passthrough is used

-or- (maybe more correct/cleaner)

• quietly ignore the audio delay setting when outputting in passthrough mode

The latest version I have confirmed the behaviour with is 14.0-ALPHA4 Git:2014-09-16-0a867cf
Settings are now changeable over JSON/RPC. Set a button on your remote to turn on passthrough and turn off delay, and another button to do the opposite.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
But that still requires manual intervention, not much different from sliding the delay back to 0ms. Since this is behaving consistently for all DTS streams I've tested it would surely be better to handle it as a config option, no?
Well you have to switch passthrough on and off don't you?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Unfortunately audio delay isn't configurable via json. I'd love to be proven wrong though!
I thought all settings were supposed to be controllable by JSON now, but I can't find any documentation. I mean, the word 'settings' only appears twice on this page http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=JSON-RPC_API/v6
@nickr–I certainly don't have to mess with switching passthrough on or off; unsure what you are referring to (?). XBMC automatically transcodes streams which cannot be passed through as-is to the receiver, based on the configured audio codec settings.

In any case, even if JSON did support this I don't see programming a dedicated button to do this as the cleanest solution.
OK I got you. Cheers.
@nickr-np. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disable audio delay settings when using passthrough0