Run multiple MySQL servers?
I ran into an issue with my PC that had XBMC's MySQL DB on it and it was out of commission for a couple of days. This left XBMC unable to get past the splash screen unless I disabled the advancedsettings.xml. Is there a way I can run a secondary MySQL DB on a different PC and have XBMC update both as changes to the library is made and if the primary DB is unavailable for some reason XBMC will access the secondary DB without any action from me?

This is no problem for me but if this happens when I am not home my wife would mot be happy with me.
No but you could setup profiles, have a main profile and a second one as a backup if there is not MYSQL available.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Yes of course there is. Mysql supports multiple synchronised servers. It is often used in failsafe environments with multiple servers delivering the same synchronised data to millions of requests per minute.

google "mysql replication"
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
How do you get XBMC to access the second DB when the advancedsettings.xml points XBMC to the ip address of the primary DB.
I think XBMC only updates one DB, then the two MySQL servers talk to each other.
(2014-09-18, 20:16)Ned Scott Wrote: I think XBMC only updates one DB, then the two MySQL servers talk to each other.

I understand that part. So there will be 2 MySQL servers one on IP address 192.168.1.x and one on 192.168.1.y. I know that server x and server y will sync with each other but what I need to know is if server x is unreachable for some reason like a crash or hardware problem can I get XBMC to automatically read from server y (I don't need to be able to write to the DB just read).

Like I said everything is fine and dandy if I am home I can remove the advancedsettings.xml so XBMC can be used. My problem is if I am at work all day or out of town for a few days and my wife wants to watch something I will not be able to talk her through how to get it back working again.

Is there some way that both server's IP addresses can be added to the advancedsettings.xml or make it so when XBMC can't access the DB XBMC can fully load past the splash screen.
In my experience, when the MySQL server is inaccessible, it EVENTUALLY gives up and moves on without it. It takes like a min or two to get past the splash screen though to where it gives up. Though then it has nothing but an empty library of course.
(2014-09-18, 22:57)sgibbers17 Wrote:
(2014-09-18, 20:16)Ned Scott Wrote: I think XBMC only updates one DB, then the two MySQL servers talk to each other.

I understand that part. So there will be 2 MySQL servers one on IP address 192.168.1.x and one on 192.168.1.y. I know that server x and server y will sync with each other but what I need to know is if server x is unreachable for some reason like a crash or hardware problem can I get XBMC to automatically read from server y (I don't need to be able to write to the DB just read).

Like I said everything is fine and dandy if I am home I can remove the advancedsettings.xml so XBMC can be used. My problem is if I am at work all day or out of town for a few days and my wife wants to watch something I will not be able to talk her through how to get it back working again.

Is there some way that both server's IP addresses can be added to the advancedsettings.xml or make it so when XBMC can't access the DB XBMC can fully load past the splash screen.

I believe you can have automatic fail over, but how to set this up is beyond my experience.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Run multiple MySQL servers?0