What do you guys do to backup your video files?
(2015-01-15, 19:14)00b5 Wrote: Ha, I had to quote this for truth. I do store my media on a NAS (unRAID) so it does have "redundancy", but no real backup. So my "backup" for all that, ahem, media, is in fact hope for me as well! Smile

I've considered moving on to something with some sort of parity. I have 21TB right now just using DriveBender. I've lost two HDDs. The first 3TB let me rescue 95% of the content. The second 3TB that died ate about 50% of the files. However I was able to mostly recover that media content by 'reaquireing it' if you know what I mean.
Backup videos? I don't... They're still on the DVDs or Blu-Rays I bought.
I tried to do the RAID thing, with various kinds of Raid systems including things like FlexRaid. In the end it proved to be too complex and time consuming plus it doesn't really guarantee data safety.

What I've ended up with -

- decide what media is truly irreplaceable, in my case its only 50-60% of my collection
- I buy external hdd's (which are cheaper than internal) when there's a really good deal, and use them for backup
8x3 TB of space in a RAID 5. (Windows reports 19 TB)...I have, ahem, 3 TB of free space...Tongue

Crashplan to backup music and photos to the cloud and to a local backup drive.

Manual backup of movies between me and my neighbor (same setup as me).
On external HD's; 7x2TB, 1x3TB, 1x4TB and a NAS with 2x1TB (JBOD) and 5 or 6 500GB.
I have about 10TB of video files, some fo which ripped from discs I no longer have. Stored on a QNAP TS-869L NAS running RAID 5

My back up strategy has two parts:
1. I have another older cheaper QNAP NAS box in my loft, with a 4 bay esata enclosure attached to it. Every night my data gets synced between the TS869L and the storage in the loft.
2. Once every couple of months, I bring 4 hard drives in storage boxes home. I copy the data from the TS 869L to the drives, then take them to work. They sit in drawer at work.

1. Covers me against Raid 5 failure or theft of the box.
2. Covers me if, god forbid, we have a fire that guts everything.

The above applies to all my files, not just the video stuff.
(2015-01-16, 08:09)MrCrispy Wrote: I tried to do the RAID thing, with various kinds of Raid systems including things like FlexRaid. In the end it proved to be too complex and time consuming plus it doesn't really guarantee data safety.

What I've ended up with -

- decide what media is truly irreplaceable, in my case its only 50-60% of my collection
- I buy external hdd's (which are cheaper than internal) when there's a really good deal, and use them for backup

Just curious what complexities you ran into with flexraid. I think I spent an hour setting it up and then another 15 minutes to schedule the snapshots and email notifications and I was done. The only time I mess with it now is when it's time to update to a newer version. Now I did here of some people having issues with flexraid on inux but I run it on windows 8.1 so haven't had any issues to speak of.

I do respect everyone's setup is different though.
I hold all my media on my Unraid server but it really is not a back up but does have a parity check on it for some safety. Been very happy with it for over 3+ years. Now upgrading to 4 TB drives since all my others are getting close to full. Full specs in my sig.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What do you guys do to backup your video files?0