Ivy Bridge HTPC VS Haswell HTPC, which one to select?
After the fourth-generation Intel Core processors (codenamed Haswell) come to market, third generation Intel Core CPUs (codenamed Ivy Bridge) is not going away. Instead, Ivy Bridge becomes the processor for the cost-conscious customers. But is Haswell really that much of an improvement over Ivy Bridge?

Ivy Bridge was a die shrink of Sandy Bridge (a.k.a., the second-gen Intel Core CPUs), moving down from a 32nm process to a 22nm process. Haswell continues to use a 22nm process, but it's using a new microarchitecture that's more power efficient.

Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge share the same LGA 1155 socket, so people can upgrade their old Sandy Bridge PC to new Ivy Bridge PC directly with a BIOS firmware flash.
But Haswell use the LGA 1150 socket, which is electrically incompatible with the previous models, so if you want Haswell computer you need totally new motherboard for it too.

New Haswell processors have upgraded Intel HD Graphics and new Iris/Iris Pro graphics, so 3D performance will improve over that of the Ivy Bridge CPUs. I think this is not much different if you don't use 4k out put, Haswell processors support 4k resolution but Ivy Bridge support only Blu ray resolution 1080P.

Power consumption Haswell wins, Hashwell processors all with lower TDP than Ivy Bridge, and the memory comes with them also low power, so Hashwell laptops battery can work longer time, much better in energy saving.
HTPC|Mini PC|Palm-Sized PC
Dude, you can't advertise your products here... see forum rules (wiki).

Also, remove your signature, too.
Hmm, some of these prices aren't too bad. Seems around what you'd get from aliexpress, but a little less shady. Still, please don't post simply for the sake of advertising. And you still need to remove your signature.
(2014-09-18, 16:27)kellyshaw Wrote: Advantage of Haswell HTPC i5-4200U compare to Ivy Bridge HTPC i5-3317U:
1. New i5-4200U mini pc add 4k resolution, old i5-3317u mini pc support only blu ray 1080p and 1080i
2. i5-4200U mini pc Power consumption is lower than i5-3317u mini pc, TDP only 15 W, i5-3317u TDP is 17W;
3. Lower TDP bring lower heat releasing;
4. Computer architecture update;
5. Graphics update from HD4000 to HD4400
6. Memory from single channel upgraded to dual channel, now i5-4200u mini pc support max 16GB RAM instead of 8GB
You fail to mention the greatest single thing Haswell has over Ivy Bridge when it comes to HTPC's, which is that Intel finally with Haswell can do proper 24Hz playback Smile For the cost conscious then Bay Trail Celerons should used in preference to Ivy Bridge as Bay Tail also includes the 24Hz fix.
(2014-09-18, 17:47)Ned Scott Wrote: ... Seems around what you'd get from aliexpress, but a little less shady ...

They're a company in Shenzhen, China (mainland) same as all the other vendors on Aliexpress -- no different. XCY, Inctel, all these Shenzhen companies are selling the same thing.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/228210

BTW, there's some big jewelry smuggling kerfuffle going on between Shenzhen and Hong Kong so nothing seems to be going out right now. I know my stuff is stuck there.
(2014-09-18, 17:06)Ned Scott Wrote: Dude, you can't advertise your products here... see forum rules (wiki).

Also, remove your signature, too.

OK, thanks for your inform
HTPC|Mini PC|Palm-Sized PC
(2014-09-18, 16:27)kellyshaw Wrote: After the fourth-generation Intel Core processors (codenamed Haswell) come to market, third generation Intel Core CPUs (codenamed Ivy Bridge) is not going away. Instead, Ivy Bridge becomes the processor for the cost-conscious customers. But is Haswell really that much of an improvement over Ivy Bridge?

Ivy Bridge was a die shrink of Sandy Bridge (a.k.a., the second-gen Intel Core CPUs), moving down from a 32nm process to a 22nm process. Haswell continues to use a 22nm process, but it's using a new microarchitecture that's more power efficient.

Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge share the same LGA 1155 socket, so people can upgrade their old Sandy Bridge PC to new Ivy Bridge PC directly with a BIOS firmware flash.
But Haswell use the LGA 1150 socket, which is electrically incompatible with the previous models, so if you want Haswell computer you need totally new motherboard for it too.

New Haswell processors have upgraded Intel HD Graphics and new Iris/Iris Pro graphics, so 3D performance will improve over that of the Ivy Bridge CPUs. I think this is not much different if you don't use 4k out put, Haswell processors support 4k resolution but Ivy Bridge support only Blu ray resolution 1080P.

Power consumption Haswell wins, Hashwell processors all with lower TDP than Ivy Bridge, and the memory comes with them also low power, so Hashwell laptops battery can work longer time, much better in energy saving.

Isn't the key benefit of Haswell over Ivy Bridge for HTPC/XBMC users the lack of the 24p bug with Haswell? Ivy Bridge has the bug, so can't output an accurate 23.976p output - so will drop/repeat video frames (or have to drop/dupe audio frames or decode and resample in the PCM domain)

Quite a big issue for some of us. It's the reason I replaced my Ivy Bridge 1007U system with one based on a Haswell 2955U.

jjd-uk has said pretty much the same thing I see. Very important issue to people who care about picture quality.

For many of us Socket compatibility on the motherboard is a non-issue as we use ULV-or similar Celeron processors which are soldered to the motherboard and not user replacable. (NUC, Revo, Chromebox etc.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ivy Bridge HTPC VS Haswell HTPC, which one to select?0