Why Atheros AR928X shows 300MB in my HTPC but 150MB in some other HTPC?
Wifi card is exactly same, but shows 300MB in my test and 150mb at customer hand, the card we use exactly 300MB, we think it is the wifi router he use is 150MB, but he don't think so, anybody know if there are other factors hurt the wifi speed? Thank you very much.
Here is my test screen shot:
And this is pictures from customer:
HTPC|Mini PC|Palm-Sized PC
Would definitely think the router would play a role. There can be huge performance differences between models - and MIMO/MISO speeds require multiple aerials etc.
(2014-09-19, 12:04)noggin Wrote: Would definitely think the router would play a role. There can be huge performance differences between models - and MIMO/MISO speeds require multiple aerials etc.

is it possible his internet supplier gives only 150MB? I heard from some friends before that there they can get only 128mb internet, it's very hard for me to trust because mine is 20gb now.
You're confusing two totally different issues.

The speed in the WiFi status screen is indication the max connection speed of the wireless connection between the Wifi card and the Wireless access point. It isn't reflecting the actual speed of data flowing, and certainly not the internet connection speed. You could have no internet connection and still see the 150Mbs WiFi connection speed indicated. It also doesn't even accurately reflect the speed you can achieve in real-life - it's simply a maximum achievable figure for the established connction.

I have a 70Mbs/30Mbs connection to the internet (via fibre-to-the-cabinet VDSL) but my 802.11ac Wifi connection is reflected as far faster than that in the control panel, which is useful when transferring data locally around my network (i.e. copying content from my laptop to my server without using a network cable)

The way WiFi works you will achieve WiFi different connection speeds for various reasons :

1. 2.4GHz vs 5GHz connection (802.11b/g is 2.4GHz, 802.11a is 5GHz, n/ac can be either OR both - and with both you get two connections aggregated in some situations)
2. Size of channel (20MHz vs 40MHz)
3. Number of aerials/antennae on the access point and client card (MIMO requires multiple aerials/antennae to carry multiple streams.
4. Chipset compatibility

*** EDIT to fix typos and clarify ***
(2014-09-19, 13:20)noggin Wrote: You're confusing two totally different issues.

The speed in the WiFi status screen is indication the max connection speed of the wifi connection between the Wifi card and the Wireless access point. It isn't reflecting the actual speed of data flowing, and certainly not the internet connection speed. You could have no internet connection and still see the 150Mbs WiFi connection speed indicated.

I have a 70Mbs/30Mbs connection to the internet (via fibre-to-the-cabinet VDSL) but my 802.11ac Wifi connection is reflected as far faster than that in the control panel, which is useful when transferring data locally around my network (i.e. copying content from my laptop to my server without using a network cable)

The way WiFi works you will achieve WiFi different connection speeds for various reasons :

1. 2.4GHz vs 5GHz connection (802.11b/g is 2.4GHz, 802.11a is 5GHz, n/ac can be either OR both - and with both you get two connections aggregated in some situations)
2. Size of channel (20MHz vs 40MHz)
3. Number of aerials/antennae on the access point and client card (MIMO requires multiple aerials/antennae to carry multiple streams.
4. Chipset compatibility

Understand now, thank you very much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why Atheros AR928X shows 300MB in my HTPC but 150MB in some other HTPC?0