Minix x8-h
I currently have a Apple TV 2 that I have been using for 2 years. It crashes when I play high-resolution media and 3d movies. I've been doing a little research on the Minix x8-h and it seems to be pretty great. Before purchasing it on one to post to the forum and get some different perspectives/opinions on the box and how it runs Xbmc/Kodi and high resolution and/or 3d movies.
Would suggest Amazon Fire TV instead, or wait for one of the Google Android TV boxes in the Fall/Winter.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Can you maybe explain or even mention any valid reasons why I shouldn't purchase the minix x8-h? Why is the Amazon fire TV a better option with regard to what I'm looking for in my post?
You can plug in external hard drives into the Minix where as you have to root an amazon fire tv to do this and amazon trying to block external hard drive use so you'll probably be stuck in a loop of waiting for root updates to continue using external hard drives with a fire tv
I would avoid any box that tries to lock you in a vendor controlled content distribution coop... but feel free to swap iTunes lockin for Amazon lockin.
(2014-10-03, 13:21)Willem55 Wrote: I would avoid any box that tries to lock you in a vendor controlled content distribution coop... but feel free to swap iTunes lockin for Amazon lockin.

why are you so negative and annoying in every single post you make? If you aren't contributing please stop posting your negative posts bashing everything except popcorn hour stuff.
(2014-10-03, 13:21)Willem55 Wrote: I would avoid any box that tries to lock you in a vendor controlled content distribution coop... but feel free to swap iTunes lockin for Amazon lockin.

Enough with this kind of bull. Neither Amazon nor iTunes requires that you buy media through them, and they play normal video files and music just fine with their hardware and players. Anyone using XBMC/Kodi is obviously using media that doesn't have DRM, so there is no "lock-in".
i would suggest OP to read freaktab.com forum for that device to see the good and the not so good. I own a device with same S802 chip, a tronsmart vega s89. Those rounded boxes (diffferent brands, same firmware) do have beter suppor IMO, we even have a Linux port.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-10-03, 17:59)Ned Scott Wrote:

Enough with this kind of bull. Neither Amazon nor iTunes requires that you buy media through them, and they play normal video files and music just fine with their hardware and players. Anyone using XBMC/Kodi is obviously using media that doesn't have DRM, so there is no "lock-in".

Ahh bull you say..

Do a survey with AppleTV users (like OP) and find out how many 'know how to' and can add their own HD AV RIPs to iTunes library.. yes I know it's possible if you know what you're doing.. point is a high percentage don't.
So that is vendor lock in my book... yes it's not absolute and fairly relative.... but in practice highly efficient for Apple Corp.
Is the business model on Amazon FireTV any different when for instance you have to Root the box to allow your own USB disk and Rooting is no longer possible after the upgrade.
My advice would still be to avoid any business model that is technically enabled to steer users toward a single commercial content source.... AKA vendor lock.
Limiting the context of vendor lock to yes/no DRM.. is a bit short sighted... It's actual user freedom of movement that is the determining factor... at least in my book.
If it smell like you need to jailbreak/Root it... don't use it.

But hey it's just my opinion you may call it bull. Angel
OP has been using XBMC on the Apple TV 2. This thread is not about people who don't use XBMC. This thread, this sub-forum, is for XBMC/Kodi related hardware. No one gives a crap about the people who don't know how to rip or store their own DRM-free media. That has nothing to do with the discussion.

The Fire TV might require root to use a USB drive, but it requires zero rooting, modding, or even sideloading, to be able to use it easily with non-Amazon content. Amazon literally has their own app store that allows you to easily install tons of other players and streaming services.

So yeah, this isn't the place for your off-topic rants. I'm really getting tired of your crap, so consider this a formal warning to stop instigating arguments.
(2014-10-04, 04:17)Veronica Wrote: i would suggest OP to read freaktab.com forum for that device to see the good and the not so good. I own a device with same S802 chip, a tronsmart vega s89. Those rounded boxes (diffferent brands, same firmware) do have beter suppor IMO, we even have a Linux port.
Can you provide a link to the section of freaktab where to get the best firmwares, how-to's, etc. for this?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php...TV-Players
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-10-04, 12:28)Ned Scott Wrote: OP has been using XBMC on the Apple TV 2. This thread is not about people who don't use XBMC. This thread, this sub-forum, is for XBMC/Kodi related hardware. No one gives a crap about the people who don't know how to rip or store their own DRM-free media. That has nothing to do with the discussion.

The Fire TV might require root to use a USB drive, but it requires zero rooting, modding, or even sideloading, to be able to use it easily with non-Amazon content. Amazon literally has their own app store that allows you to easily install tons of other players and streaming services.

So yeah, this isn't the place for your off-topic rants. I'm really getting tired of your crap, so consider this a formal warning to stop instigating arguments.

OK I read this as a gag order and will shut up...I'm no longer advising to stay away from closed systems that need jailbreaking or Rooting

just a quote from your WiKi:

Requirements
To Install XBMC on ATV2 you must have a jailbroken Apple TV 2 running versions 4.1 to 5.3
XBMC only works on the second generation Apple TV (ATV2), which is the black version that outputs 720p. XBMC does not work on the newer third generation Apple TV (ATV3) that outputs 1080p (Full HD), because there is no jailbreak for the ATV3.

And do count the times "requires Root access" is stated on the Amazon Fire TV page of the xbmc WiKi.

OP just wanted to know if Minix x8-h is a good replacement for his Apple TV2, which I think it is, then he gets the advice to get a Amazon Fire TV... I disagreed, you gag me.
No one is advising OP to use Apple TVs. The Fire TV does not require root access to install XBMC. Root access is only required for special functions or using USB for storage.

I "gag" you because you're annoying the piss out of people, including me.
(2014-10-05, 00:40)Ned Scott Wrote: No one is advising OP to use Apple TVs. The Fire TV does not require root access to install XBMC. Root access is only required for special functions or using USB for storage.

I "gag" you because you're annoying the piss out of people, including me.

I am not sure that "annoying " should be the test.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix x8-h0