Keymapping alphanumeric keypad
I previously had a Samsung TV hooked up to my Raspberry Pi XBMC which had an alphanumeric remote control keypad (like oldschool mobile phones - the number 2 had letters "a b c" etc.) This was really useful to be able to skip to the starting letter of a movie or TV show in my library.

However, on my new Sony TV, it has a normal numeric keypad and I can no longer jump to the letter I want. I have been looking at creating a custom keymap but I can't see how I can assign a single key to be able to scroll through each of its options (i.e. the number 2 needs to do 2, a, b and c, then back to the number 2 if it's pressed a fifth time).

I can create a custom key map which will jump to the next letter, but I cant see how to write it so that it will only scroll through each of its options.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
Just to satisfy my curiosity, so I can understand what the situation was/is -
- was the remote use when you had the Samsung TV that of the TV or another?
- is the remote used with the Sony TV that of the TV or another?

I ask because I can see the feature you liked as a hardware feature of the remote, but not one easily implemented as you describe for a remote with single-function keys
Derek
(2014-09-20, 11:02)dandnsmith Wrote: - was the remote use when you had the Samsung TV that of the TV or another?

There was a Samsung remote used with the Samsung TV.

(2014-09-20, 11:02)dandnsmith Wrote: - is the remote used with the Sony TV that of the TV or another?

I am using a Sony remote with the Sony TV.

Was this a case of the Samsung remote/TV working some unseen wizardry to make this feature work with the Raspberry/XBMC?
It won't matter if the remote has just numbers, or numbers with SMS style letters. All that CEC knows about is the number pressed (It's xbmc that interprets the number as an SMS letter)

Now what buttons a remote chooses to forward over CEC is a choice made by the TV. If it doesn't forward those buttons then xbmc can't do anything.

First thing is to check the end of xbmc.log each time a button is pressed and you should see an "OnKey" event.
Check whether the number keys generate events. If they do then they can be mapped.
If nothing happens you may be out of luck (unless TV has an options for this - check the manual).
(2014-09-20, 11:49)AMPERAGE Wrote: Was this a case of the Samsung remote/TV working some unseen wizardry to make this feature work with the Raspberry/XBMC?

Just to close a hole, CEC is the bit which gets the codes to the XBMC, and just what is implemented is determined by the (TV) manufacturer (and also the 'quality' of the link)
Derek

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keymapping alphanumeric keypad0