Crashes when browsing AFP share on 13.2
All of a sudden XBMC 13.2 is crashing to low tide on ATV 2 when browsing any AFP share through video -> files. The list of sources comes up, then when I select a source (afp://MacPro.local), the list of subdirectories (which in my case are all volumes on MacPro.local) comes up for 2-3 seconds. Then crash.

This has never been a problem before. Only 2 things have changed:

1) update from 13.1 to 13.2
2) update MacPro from OS X 10.7.5 to 10.9.5

obviously #2 is a big change, but reversion to test is not possible. Furthermore, I successfully accessed this share on XBMC 13.1 while running OS X 10.9.4 on MacPro several times, so I suspect it's a problem with XBMC 13.2.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? Potential solutions? How to downgrade from 13.2 to 13.1? Or is there a nightly fix?

Here is the log, but I don't think it helps much.
AFP in XBMC is very buggy. The OS update might be causing bugs to trigger more often on the XBMC side. The best thing to do is try to use another sharing protocol.
(2014-09-20, 22:46)Ned Scott Wrote: AFP in XBMC is very buggy. The OS update might be causing bugs to trigger more often on the XBMC side. The best thing to do is try to use another sharing protocol.

Thanks but I switched from SMB to AFP some time ago with very considerable effort. Unless you can tell me there is a way to universally go back to SMB on all items in my library, which include images, etc., I'd rather try to revert. Or it may be time to abandon the ATV for XBMC and look for another device. Sad
Its not an ATV issue - its AFP generic issue (as also noted here AFP (wiki) )
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks. I downgraded to 13.1 with same crashing issue. So yes, I suspect some change when upgrading from OS X 10.7.4 to 10.7.5.

This log seems to have more relevant data. The log shows it connects to the server successfully and apparently accesses all connected volumes, as expected. But it still crashes. The first time I managed to scroll down through a couple of volumes on the list and select one before crash. The second time (with this log), it just crashed as with 13.2 after a few seconds after opening the source. Any idea why?

If there is no possibility of AFP being fixed, would it be possible to use path substitution to just change afp: to smb: ?

Also I recall the original reason for switching from smb: to afp: was that apple had abandoned some smb: standard and was using its own implementation, which made XBMC incompatible.

Thanks.
ok, I tried path substitution. (shown in this new log). if I'm doing it correctly, that didn't work either. the source still seems to be accessed by afp. and it still crashes in the same way.
Do you have any chance to reduce the number of shared volumes (maybe that helps?)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-09-23, 16:49)Memphiz Wrote: Do you have any chance to reduce the number of shared volumes (maybe that helps?)

Thanks for response. It was never an issue before. I could possibly make some adjustments by changing from one source with multiple volumes to maybe 8 different sources (2 on each of 4 volumes). Could I do that with path substitution? How? For example right now the source is :

afp://MacPro.local/

and a full path would be like:

afp://MacPro.local/Naga/Video [Naga]/..

I could make the above one of the sources…

Still, not sure how that helps since even browsing the whole file system now to add a source I believe crashes (need to test that).
I've spent hours on this now, and can't get anything to work reliably – AFP almost completely unreliable and SMB does not work at all. I haven't even got to the Path Substitution question because I can't even add an SMB share.

Some observations:

1. I have no problem connecting to SMB server on the Mac, when using an iPhone SMB client with the same login info.

2. attempts to connect via SMB (in XBMC 13.2) fail in some way or another no matter what route I go
- In "Add Video Sources" the Windows SMB option and the zeroconfig option just do nothing
- if I manually put in the info, then I get "Error 2" followed by couldn't connect
- if I manually edit sources.xml, with or without login:password@ and with or without using Long%20Name for login, same as above
- if I save it anyway and try to connect, I get a "Broken Pipe" error

log shows this:
Code:
07:10:00 T:149164032   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAME:[email protected]/'
                                            unix_err:'20' error : 'Broken pipe'
07:10:02 T:805216256   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://USERNAME:[email protected]/
07:10:02 T:805216256   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(smb://USERNAME:[email protected]/) failed

4. my OS X system log shows this:
Code:
10/11/14 11:43:42.268 AM com.apple.preferences.sharing.remoteservice[1343]: nsc_smb XPC: handle_event error : < Connection invalid >

5. connecting to AFP works without crashing sometimes, as in like 1/50 times.

6. memory and storage on the ATV2 are pretty low. I will now attempt to clean up the storage, but what can I do about memory?

I have scoured these forums for hints in related threads, but see nothing conclusive other than 1) switch to NFS or install SMBUp, neither of which I want to do.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=184678
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176400

Has anyone found SMB to work with XBMC (13.2 on ATV2) connecting to OS X 10.9.5?
I've had no luck either substituting "MacPro.local" with the LAN IP. It's all broken pipe.
I downgraded to Frodo, and now the problem is still there but much better. That is to say, I can access via afp:// most of the time. If I use the LAN IP, it is almost 100%. If I use the LAN IP and then use the Machine.local hostname, that seems to work as well. If I use only the hostname, I usually get a cannot establish network connection error.

This is again with the file server running OS X Yosemite. So, it seems there is something that was broken with afp:// since Frodo.

I'm now attempting to use path substitution so all files are accessed via IP and not hostname. If that works, all is good for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crashes when browsing AFP share on 13.20