fullscreen toggle '\' broken in 13.2/14.0
System:

Win 7 Prof, SP1, 4GB Ram, AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9 Ghz 64 Bit display
Geforce GTX 650 TI BOOST 340.52 driver
Kodi info see logfile: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=298729

I have been running 12.2 for years on XP and always had issues with newer XBMC versions.
Now i installed a new PC with Win 7, but it still seems to work better with 12.2 than
Kodi, eg: right now i've 12.2 and Kodi installed on the system, but i also tested 13.2:

Problem:

'/' key is not working well in Kodi (14.0) (and 13.2). Was working much better/perfect in 12.2.

Eplanation:

advancedsetting has fullscreen true and Kodi is autostarted (by eventghost).
With my old stable XBMC 12.2 this works great. with 13.2 and Kodi, i can not toggle fullscreen
and window mode via the '\' key anymore.

Logfile shows:

Start Kodi. Comes up fullscreen. '\' does no work.
GO to System -> System -> Video output.
Display Mode shows "Windowed".
When i change Display Mode to fullscreen, '\' works again, toggles betwwn fullscreen and small window.

Beyond what is in the logfile:

when i quit Kodi in fullscreen after i had fixed Display Mode to fullscreen, it will remember
fullscreen mode and show fullscreen after starting it again. And then '/' does of course work.

When i quit Kodi while being in window mode, it will come up again with the problem that '\' does not work.

Setting "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" does not change anything in the problem.

12.2 did not have this problem. However i quit it, when i start it, it comes up fullscreen.
In fact, when i quit it while XBMC is in a (not fullscreen) window, and then i restart it,
it will show Display Mode as windowed - just like Kodi, BUT the '\' key works and switches over
to Fullscreen.

I think sometime after 12.2 some code around '\' was broken:
even when mode is "window", '\' should continue to toggle fullscreen and non-fullscreen.
without this, XBMC/Kodi makes really a bad media center PC app.

Btw: I have not been able to try kodi on a non-windows OS, so this might be windows specific.
I'm confused - are we talking about '/' or about '\' , as these are two different keys on all my keyboards?
The wiki for keyboards has '\' defined as default full window toggle.
Derek
Using \ to toggle full screen mode in XBMC 13.2 works just fine for me - on Windows 7.

I would suggest that you remove the full screen option from advancedsettings.xml as it may be forcing full screen only. (Remember adding any GUI setting to advancedsettings.xml disables that option in the GUI and effectively enforces it)

If that doesn't work try going back to a plain install and testing again - rename your XBMC folder under %appdata% so that a new default one is created. I'll bet you \ works then... if it does you're going to need to look through your config customisations to find which one is causing the problem...
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
It was working just fine for me yesterday as well on Win 8.1.

As mentioned above, why do you have a full screen option in your advancedsettings.xml? I've never known a need for such a thing.
*sigh* If you folks don't need/want fullscreen in advancedsetting, that's fine, but i want to have it there: I want to make sure that XBMC starts in fullscreen after a reboot, even if it was not fullscreen when the system shut down. thats only possible by putting fullscreen into advancedsettings.xml

Besides: As i mentioned, it was working fine in older XBMC. Why was it broken ? How can it get fixed ?
Because the settings system has been entirely redone and putting guisettings in advancedsettings.xml no longer works.
(2014-09-28, 04:30)te36 Wrote: *sigh* If you folks don't need/want fullscreen in advancedsetting, that's fine, but i want to have it there: I want to make sure that XBMC starts in fullscreen after a reboot, even if it was not fullscreen when the system shut down. thats only possible by putting fullscreen into advancedsettings.xml

Besides: As i mentioned, it was working fine in older XBMC. Why was it broken ? How can it get fixed ?

Well it also been posted that backslash \ toggle works for everyone else so it must be something specific to your system. Have you tried what DBMandrake suggested?
[/quote]

Well it also been posted that backslash \ toggle works for everyone else so it must be something specific to your system. Have you tried what DBMandrake suggested?
[/quote]

I do not think this is true. What i read from the replies in this thread is:

"Fullscreen toggle works for me" - ok. But i bet this is without setting fullscreen in advancedsettings. Nobody in this thread has chimed in stating that fullscreen toggle still works when fullscreen is configured in advancedsetting - on windows.

The second thing claimed is that it does not mater that fullscreen toggle with fullscreen in advancedsettings worked in older XBMC, but not now anymore, because the whole GUI system was redone, and fullscreen in advancedsetting is not supported anymore. How would i know if this is true ? After all, it still has an effect (a broken one), and there is no change in documentation.

So, let me repeat:

Q1: Is fullscreen in advancedsetting still supported, if yes, then what is it supposed to do ? The only explanation of the new behavior that would make sense is that its "fullscreen" in advancedsetting now FORCES XBMC to stay in fullscreen and DISABLES the fullscreen toggle key. If thats so, then the doc should be changed, and there should be a different advancedsetting option that again provides the required functionality: "START XBMC in fullscreen - but do not disable the fullscreeen toggle key".

Q2: I have a media center PC. It has non-geek users and geek users. If anything goes wrong, worst case, you reboot. Then XBMC must be fullscreen. If at some point, a geek user comes along, grabs the keyboard and wants to start other apps on the desktop, he would like to toggle XBMC away from fullscreen. How is this supposed to work in XBMC 14 now ? In 12.2 is was working perfect.

Thanks
this is clearly a bug and needs to be fixed. will have a look
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5427
(2014-09-28, 17:17)te36 Wrote: What i read from the replies in this thread is:

"Fullscreen toggle works for me" - ok. But i bet this is without setting fullscreen in advancedsettings. Nobody in this thread has chimed in stating that fullscreen toggle still works when fullscreen is configured in advancedsetting - on windows.

Well if would have been helpful for you to try without that advancedsetting in place to prove it was indeed that, and if you have done so already then no where did you clearly say that. No matter, it seems Fernetmenta has been good enough to take a look for you and identity an issue.
(2014-09-28, 18:55)FernetMenta Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5427

Thanks, FernetMenta. Not sure i fully understand that thread though. Let me know if there is anything i can help/test.
i know this is an old post but I had the same problem and found it but I found something that worked for me I opened internet explor and installed microsoft silverlite and now all is fixed hope this helps someone
er

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fullscreen toggle '\' broken in 13.2/14.00