Solved Video freeze live tv
I'm running XBMC for a while now and have some issues with Live TV. Sometimes the image just freezes. XBMC doens't crash completely, for instance, i can hit the 'menu' button and it takes me back to the menu. I'm hearing the interface sounds (when changing focus for example). Even when i put the system to sleep and wake it up again the Image returns. The only way i can get rit of it is by rebooting the system.

I've copied the logfile to pastbin:

http://pastebin.com/eXPzbAAP

It is a copy / paste of the last few minutes. As you can see at 23:37:34 it generates an error. That's the same time the image freezes (or atleast i think it is).

23:37:34 T:140278891521792 ERROR: ffmpeg[397FA700]: [h264] sps_id 0 out of range

The weird thing is; it doens't always happen. Sometimes i have a few days no problems, but could occure twice a day aswell. I've tried disabling the VAAI hardware accel and only to run on software rendering, but that doesn't help, the picture get's stuck as well.

Okay, full log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1z1o3x3l3c63a5/xbmc.log?dl=0
no log snippets. give the full log.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Not one tought?

tnx Fritsch for at least taking the time to view this thread. My reply wan't to 'push' or anything. I know you all are working hard on this project. Not intended to offend anyone.
With the release of 4.2.1 everything seems to be stable. Haven't seen the screen hang since.
Use a normal pastebin next time and reproduce with a minimal example - so the log does not grow to 5 MB.

Btw. the logs absolutely show nothing - just that xbmc process ends after epg scanning.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-10-13, 12:51)fritsch Wrote: Use a normal pastebin next time and reproduce with a minimal example - so the log does not grow to 5 MB.

Btw. the logs absolutely show nothing - just that xbmc process ends after epg scanning.
The problem was (hopefully), it could be a couple of days before the screen hung. And since you require debug logging (obviously) the log file always grew to a large filesize. But, it seems to be solved now, tnx for your effort!
We only changed the intel driver between 4.2.0 and 4.2.1 - if it was fully hung, the kernel should tell something about "Got stuck on render ring". So next time, also provide dmesg | pastebinit when this happens again.

As you are watching LiveTV anways, which requires Deinterlacing, don't forget to turn on "Use SW Filter" in the Video -> Acceleration (Expert) Setting.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-10-13, 13:41)fritsch Wrote: We only changed the intel driver between 4.2.0 and 4.2.1 - if it was fully hung, the kernel should tell something about "Got stuck on render ring". So next time, also provide dmesg | pastebinit when this happens again.

As you are watching LiveTV anways, which requires Deinterlacing, don't forget to turn on "Use SW Filter" in the Video -> Acceleration (Expert) Setting.
Strage thing; it happened with all 4.2 beta version's, with 4.2.0, but doesn't happen with 4.2.1. If it can't be explained but it still works for me, it's fine by me Smile
XBMC didn't crash, only the image freezed. When the image was frozen i could hit the 'menu' button on my remote and listen to the onclick sound effects. It was still working, but there was just an image of Live TV on top of it.

Are you saying software rendering is the better choice for Live TV? Because I have VAAPI selected at the moment (CPU's should be able to handle the load though), with deinterlacing turned on. Tuned (where possible) with the settings form your thread at 'deinterlance testing'.
If you want deinterlacing at all - which you need for 1080i50 and 576i50, you need to use "Use SWFilter" Option, cause this is the only way this OpenELEC Gotham version can do deinterlacing - mainline gotham cannot do deinterlacing on intel platforms at all.

When this option is active you have the choice to use: Deinterlace (ultra quality, high cpu load), Deinterlace Half (yeah - movement won't be smooth), Bob (low quality, but also low load) - choose it depending on your CPU.

The Baytrail NUCs can only do BOB
Real HSW Nucs (Celeron 2955U and better) can do Deinterlace
Real ICB Nuc (core i3 processor ++) are also fast enough to do Deinterlace
Celeron 847 also can only do Bob.

With helix - that will change (at least for the HSW based chips) ... but helix is not what you are running at the moment.
(2014-10-13, 14:41)fritsch Wrote: If you want deinterlacing at all - which you need for 1080i50 and 576i50, you need to use "Use SWFilter" Option, cause this is the only way this OpenELEC Gotham version can do deinterlacing - mainline gotham cannot do deinterlacing on intel platforms at all.

When this option is active you have the choice to use: Deinterlace (ultra quality, high cpu load), Deinterlace Half (yeah - movement won't be smooth), Bob (low quality, but also low load) - choose it depending on your CPU.

The Baytrail NUCs can only do BOB
Real HSW Nucs (Celeron 2955U and better) can do Deinterlace
Real ICB Nuc (core i3 processor ++) are also fast enough to do Deinterlace
Celeron 847 also can only do Bob.

With helix - that will change (at least for the HSW based chips) ... but helix is not what you are running at the moment.
I got myself a Intel NUC D54250WYK.

cat /proc/cpuinfo tells me: model name : Intel® Core™ i5-4250U CPU @ 1.30GHz

Just did some testing with this but it seems my cpu load increases so much it skips very much frames. Both Deinterlance and Deinterlance half don't work because of the high cpu load.

I have set the setting back to hardware VAAPI, and with deinterlance turned on and set to automatic it is a bit better than turning the deinterlancing off completely.

Just have to wait for Helix i guess. Thanks for your additional info.
That cpu is fast enough to do yadif. Make sure that you don't force "Lanczos3 Optimized" scaling for 1080 sources - this would be nuts anyways.
(2014-10-13, 20:31)fritsch Wrote: That cpu is fast enough to do yadif. Make sure that you don't force "Lanczos3 Optimized" scaling for 1080 sources - this would be nuts anyways.
I'll check this tonight, tnx for your support. I'll read your post at the deinterlance testing a bit more carefully anyways.
(2014-10-13, 21:19)mhoogenbosch Wrote:
(2014-10-13, 20:31)fritsch Wrote: That cpu is fast enough to do yadif. Make sure that you don't force "Lanczos3 Optimized" scaling for 1080 sources - this would be nuts anyways.
I'll check this tonight, tnx for your support. I'll read your post at the deinterlance testing a bit more carefully anyways.
okay, it just won't work.
Deinterlance video: Auto (available options: Off, On, Auto)
Deinterlance method: De-interlance (available options: De-interlance, Bob, Bob (inverted), Weave, Weave (inverted), Blend, Auto select, Software Blend, De-interlance (half))
Video scaling method: auto (available options: Bilinear, Nearest neighbour, Auto)

So, no Lanczos3 at all.

When enabling the de-interlance skips and drops increase. error moves between 0% to 300%.

Other settings:

Video\Playback:
Adjust display refresh rate to match video: On start/stop
Sync playback to display: Yes
A/V sync method: Video clock (Drop/Dupe audio)

Video\Acceleration:
Render method: Auto detect
Enable HQ Scalers for scalings above: 20%
Decoding method: Software
Allow multi threaded software decoding: enabled

System\Video output:
Vertical blank sync: Let driver choose (requires restart)

What i don't get is when i check my system information, it tells me the CPU speed is at 800Mhz. Is there a commandline reference to check the actual CPU speed?
Okay, disabled all 'green' settings, now it is at 1300mhz, but my guess is it won't go to 2,6ghz anymore, right?

Never the less, when i set everything to de-interlance all four cpu's are at 60%, so no 100% anymore, but still drops and skips. Error flips from 0% all the way to 600%...
Quote:Decoding method: Software <- Are you kidding me?

You are currently decode on the CPU and also Deinterlace on the CPU. For this your 1300 Mhz are too slow.

This will only work on your CPU if you use the GPU for decoding => Enable VAAPI decoding and Enable "Use SW Filter".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video freeze live tv0