Monitoring xbmc process on a 'server' and keeping it running
Hi all,
I have a central server which I run XBMC on to maintain a shared library, do the scanning, and share library over UPnP for other devices. The system runs Ubuntu 12.04 and XBMC 13.2. I use the system for other things, so have a full X windows desktop environment, and will use XBMC for managing the library from here. At the moment I have the system set to auto-login a particular use, and then run a script which starts XBMC.

The problem is that I find that XBMC will sometimes crash or freeze, which causes problems on the network when new content is now longer been scanned and added to library, or the UPnP library is unavailable.

So I'm looking for 2 things:
1) Keeping xbmc process running, ie; when XBMC crashes for whatever reason, just restart the process to keep everything running. Is there a better way to do this launching within an X environment, or running it parallel with an X environment?
2) Figure out when XBMC has frozen, kill the process and restart it. I don't mind a cron job every 5mins or so, but I'm struggling to figure out how to properly monitor that it's working. Today it was frozen on screen, but the HTTP & UPnP was still responding to basic checks.

I realize tackling the root cause of freezes may be more beneficial, but similarly I want to design for failure and ensure that the system is more available regardless or reliability improvements.

Any suggestions or advice?

Tom

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Monitoring xbmc process on a 'server' and keeping it running0