Legal add ons for tv and movies
I'm looking for add-ons for XBMC that are legal. I had it installed a while back and there were a few educational programs that they had as add-ons but of course there are the ones that are illegal like navix movies25 and so on but I definitely want to keep it legal. I have Netflix and Hulu but there's not always a good selection. I've read the rules of the forum and I definitely want to keep this topic to be legal. I appreciate any help or recommendations of add-ons and plug-ins that people can give me. I will be getting my XBMC installed on my minicomputer when I get back from it being serviced and I am looking forward to using it as my cable killer.
You can look here: wheretowatch.org to see what sites are legal in the US. Several of my addons such as: popcornflix, snagfilms and viewster are from this list. There aren't many current films available, but there is some decent content. The USTVVod addon handles most of the current TV Show sources from the network websites listed on wheretowatch.org. The MeTV addon has some older shows like The Saint, The Rifleman, The Lucy Show which change on a weekly basis.
are tv channels like HGTV, Discovery, And other good ones available or are they not legal ones. I'm not looking to watch movies so much that are out in theaters like what these guys do with the handy cam just stuff to replace cable. TV shows and maybe some movies to watch. I saw this chip for the raspberry pi OS is it legal to run these chips or are you liable to get a notice from your cable company for copy right infringement as if you downloaded a movie torrent?

heres the chip I'm interested in

[link removed for possible piracy promotion]
The simple thing to do is just to install XBMC on your computer or laptop, then browse those addons. To our knowledge, every one of them is legal. A large number of the ones listed on that link you put up are not.

Also, just to keep our words precise, the link you posted is to an SD card. It's perfectly legal to run the version of XBMC that's available on that SD card on your raspberry pi. The legality of accessing the content provided by some of the addons also installed on that card is much less clear.

edit: Also, since the link goes to a card that includes addons that enable piracy, I've gone ahead and deleted the link.
Just to clarify what Nate is saying above: install XBMC from an official download http://xbmc.org/download/ and the addons that you find in the xbmc.org repository are, best of knowledge, legal. There, unfortunately, are many XBMC installs or pre-installs available elsewhere which have piracy addons and often malicious or problematic code in them.
so hows something like skystreamx4?
(2014-09-26, 00:22)superfly611 Wrote: so hows something like skystreamx4?
No. Every one of the 7 addons on their home page is not condoned by and not to be discussed on this forum. They also don't appear to give proper legal notice about XBMC on their website.
DRM is the problem. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. all use DRM that XBMC cannot negotiate with, so even if you are paying for a service the best you can do on a PC is view it through a browser.
wow okay good to know. So I'll probably stick with my Windows machine I do have these nice little ultra small form factors and maybe a network tuner that I have to share with that other computers. I was trying to cut the cable bill Down a little bit. I don't know the cable company has you backed up against the wall And there's no way out.

I do have Amazon instant prime, Netflix and I don't pay for Hulu so I have a free service if they still have that. I haven't used it in a long time so I'm not sure if you have to pay for it now or if that's just for the premium service

The problem is getting my parents to figure out how to use a computer LOL that's why I was thinking xbmc might be a little bit easier to me and I just got and Amazon fire TV. It was on sale so I decided to get it I like playing with Technology :-) .

I didn't mention any of the add-ons because like I said I wasn't sure if was something that could be discussed. Just trying to stay Kosher sort of speak And sorry I posted the link to that sdcard but thanks removing it since it was something not able to be discussed.

Guess we will have to deal with the Price of cable. Undecided

Thanks for all the advice
I got rid of cable a while ago. I have 20+ Over-The-Air channels where I am, some metropolitan areas have a lot more. I use a relatively cheap ($35) amplified digital antenna to feed a HD HomeRun Plus ( http://www.silicondust.com/ ) which integrates almost seamlessly with XBMC. The HomeRun box has 2 TV tuners which can be accessed over the LAN using XBMC. It's really simple and I've set it up quite a number of them for retired folks who want to reduce their bills.

Someone (it may have NateThomas above) posted a link in this forum to video on youtube showing how to hook a HD HomeRun up to a raspberry pi running xbmc. UPDATE: have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-avJPRCK6k

The USTVVod addon and several others in the xbmc.org repo have most of the cable channel websites available and new episodes are usually available within a week or so of broadcast. About the only thing I'm not able to get that I would like to is Game of Thrones, but that gives me an excuse to slip away for a beer at a bar that has cable.
This may not work for you but I would look into the (beta) my library code to add to xbmc. It allows you to integrate Netflix and amazon into xbmc. You can do a google search for it. It has the xbmc.org approval since it is on their site.
(2014-09-30, 04:07)markaisi Wrote: This may not work for you but I would look into the (beta) my library code to add to xbmc. It allows you to integrate Netflix and amazon into xbmc. You can do a google search for it. It has the xbmc.org approval since it is on their site.
Is that direct integration or through a screen scraper like Playon for Netflix and Amazon?
It uses PlayOn.TV and all of your shows that you want can show up in xbmc library.
Illegal means they will prosecute if you stream third party addons.Don't you know that you can buy TV today that has a built in kodi? Streaming third party addons for me is not illegal. If it is then the authority should prosecute the server not the user. There is no law that they will prosecute anybody streaming third party addons. If it is free I will take advantage on it as long as the law will not prosecute me.
You can do what you like, in the same way that we can reserve the right not to support you in doing it, nor to accept any responsibility for any consequences that may occur.

It's called taking responsibility for your own actions. Anything is free of you steal it, but it doesn't make doing so right or legal.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Legal add ons for tv and movies0