Make sure you purchased the right memory modules for your HTPC
Its very bad to hear that one spend almost 100$ on one 4GB DDR3 240Pin memory and finally find it cannot be inserted to the 204pin memory slot on the HTPC he purchased; and some use a standard 1.5V memory to a board requires only 1.2v and 1.35v, and then find board burned off. Here is my collection on how to select the right memories, welcome additional informations.

First, very importantly, you should make sure the exact CPU inside the HTPC you purchase, many seller write only i5 or i7 without other informations, exactly it should be i5-4200U, i7-4500U or other similars. When get the CPU details, you can learn directly from intel.com to check CPU details if you feel the informaiton on the seller’s site not clear enough. You can find the memory types it support directly as shown like this picture:
Now let’s see difference of DDR3, DDR3L and LPDDR3. Laptop memory is 204pin(SO-DIMM DDR 3) and destop memory is 240 pin(DDR 3).
Here is summarization of the key differences(get from synopsys.com)
HTPC|Mini PC|Palm-Sized PC
Well, just like buying a house or a car or insurance or really just about anything....do your homework before you spend a penny. Although this post is completely useful and informative, you should know what you are buying before you buy it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Make sure you purchased the right memory modules for your HTPC1