Using XBMC in a hotel
I've only had the pi for a couple of weeks and originally installed the OS from the NOOBS download...the Debian OS I think. It set up fine and I was able to connect to and browse the internet via the hotels wifi. The problem was there was no XBMC included in this version. Since then I have downloaded and installed a few different xbmc versions but can't figure out how to open an OS to connect to the internet. The hotels internet is open but to connect you need to open a browser which takes you to their website to enter a username and password. So, I guess what I need is a version that boots up to an operating system where I can open a browser, log on to the internet, close the browser and then open xbmc...is it possible for a relative noob to doHuh

Thanks,

jc
Using RaspBMC there is a facility for booting into a browser (Arora Web Browser), and then booting into XBMC when you've finished with the browser, which sounds like it could do what you want.
BUT it won't work with WiFi, unfortunately
Derek
I need to boot to an operating system and then a browser as said before, once the browser is open it takes you to a login page to fill in a user name and pw. Once logged on I can close the browser and start xbmc. This is required even with a wired connection...which is how I am connected now.

Thanks again

jc
Two sdcards, one raspbian and one openelec would be my choice.
You can do it with NOOBS and raspian and openelec on a single card with two partitions but this is a little more complicated.

In either case you will need to reboot between to the two operating systems.
But during the reboot I would lose the internet connection I establish in raspian...isn't there a raspian version that has xbmc included?
(2014-09-23, 18:18)jcole_mn Wrote: But during the reboot I would lose the internet connection I establish in raspian...isn't there a raspian version that has xbmc included?

Are you sure that matters? I suspect the hotel uses the mac address to identify clients who have logged in and a reboot won't affect that.
Nope, everytime I reboot I have to re-enter the user name and pw to access the internet.
a work around might be internet sharing on your laptop to your pi. That may let you get around it. but then thats not much better than just using your computer.
(2014-09-23, 18:08)popcornmix Wrote: Two sdcards, one raspbian and one openelec would be my choice.
You can do it with NOOBS and raspian and openelec on a single card with two partitions but this is a little more complicated.

In either case you will need to reboot between to the two operating systems.

(2014-09-23, 18:52)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-09-23, 18:18)jcole_mn Wrote: But during the reboot I would lose the internet connection I establish in raspian...isn't there a raspian version that has xbmc included?

Are you sure that matters? I suspect the hotel uses the mac address to identify clients who have logged in and a reboot won't affect that.

You were right, I booted the original raspian that I had, logged on to the internet with...midori I think, shut down and rebooted with Raspmc and was still connected. Now I just need to d/l a more up to date xbmc with the add-ons and navi-x included Smile

Thanks,
jc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using XBMC in a hotel0