Win Bitstreaming/passthrough not working
I have a pc hooked up to a Pioneer VSX-324-K-P receiver which, until recently, has been giving us great sound. If I load up a film that has DTS, it'll show DTS on the receiver. Likewise for anything else, such as DTS-MA or Dolby True HD or whatever. Two days ago, I switched over to the pc channel on the receiver and noticed that no sound at all was coming from it. After some sleuthing I found that someone must have sat on the remote or inadvertently pressed a button, because nothing plugged into that hdmi port gave any sound - selecting audio source gave us sound back. Great.

But, not so great. The pc is giving sound now, but nothing is showing up on the receiver any more other than PCM, and the sound definitely isn't as good as it used to be on say, a film with DTS or whatever. The pc has a Core 2 Duo E8400 at stock 3GHz speed, 6GB of ram and a Radeon 5450, which connects to the receiver via hdmi. The Radeon appears to be correctly set up - eight formats are listed, HDCP is shown as supported, the pc detects the 5.1 speakers and the sound test is successful. But I cannot for the life of me get any video to display anything other than PCM when selecting the ALC/STANDARD option on the remote. The onboard realtek audio is disabled in the bios, and the only audio device showing in the list is the Radeon. Passthrough is selected as default in XBMC, and it detects the 5.1 speakers, and I get sound coming through when I play any file, whether it supports any of those formats or not. The audio output device is set to WASAPI: HDMI - AMD HDMI Output (AMD High Definition Audio Device). I just can't get the damn format to work.

I believe I had some similar issue before and someone told me to use Catalyst 12.2, which is what I've been using up until now, but that doesn't fix it like it used to and I can't find any mention of it on the 'net. I tried installing the latest stable release, 14.4, as well as the beta, 14.7. I have the latest stable release of Gotham installed, and both the pc and the receiver have been reset multiple times in case anyone thinks a reset is all that is needed.

The XBox 360 and Sky+ box both show Dolby Digital when they are powered up, and the Wii U shows PCM and does play in surround sound when it's running, but not any video on XBMC. I apparently had Shark 007's codecs installed, something I must've done years ago when I was using WMC, so I installed the latest 64-bit version of that and, in the audio tab, selected True-HD/DTS-HD-MA (HDMI only), as well as tried setting speaker configuration to both Same as input (digital) and 5.1. Nothing makes any difference.

Any ideas? This is one issue that's driving me spare, and you just know it's the kind that's being caused by one little thing that I'm missing.
Can you post screenshots of your audio settings to a site such as http://imgur.com/ and also post a log_file (wiki) to pastebin, then provide the links to view here.
Hey jjd, thanks for replying, and I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - we had trouble with our 'net connection. The problem has since been solved - for some reason, the advanced settings were hidden, so all it took was to show them, set the passthrough device to WASAPI and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks again for your offer of help Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bitstreaming/passthrough not working0