Linux On the fly transcoding in UPnP server
Hi

To me XBMC would be the perfect platform to provide UPnP transcoding facility where my BD-ISO's can be streamed across LAN to "lesser" DLNA capable devices like Ipads, smart TVs and the like.
I currently convert movies for my kids with Handbrake but this is a slow process that also requires reserving disk space for resulting files, not a long term solution.
It would be nice to be able to stream content without worrying about encoding method or bandwidth issues.
Sadly the UPnP server in XBMC does not seem capable of any transcoding.

Does anyone know of any development work being done or third party product that can deliver such capability to XBMC?
mediathomb, plex and another half dozen
how does nay of the two programms you called add this feature to xbmc?
they run in background and you can use their upnp server/trascoding abilities instead of using the upnp inbuilt into xbmc which is unable to do transcoding. Simple. I wont be posting how tos, thats what you clever people should be responsible to investigate, learn, and implement with fair ease.
so they actually do not do what the op asks for. running an additional upnp server is not the answer to the question if there is anything adding the missing feature to xbmc.

an answer like "no. but you can run other programms for their upnp capabilities along with xbmc in the background" would be more understandable and fitting the subject.

the way you answered is actually offtopic and not very helpful in my opinion. anyhow, ...
No, but you can run the programs I mentioned in background. Or code that functionality into the kodi upnp server yourself.

a_user you offered not a single line of advice other than criticism, take it over the topic and then preach about offtopic and being unhelpful think about that for a second.
Thank you for both your responses..., yes I am looking for XBMC based solution so I can take advantage of the scraping and thumbs - the whole integration thing.
But I do appreciate you suggesting alternative solutions also...

Its disappointing XBMC is really weak in UPnP/DLNA support, Airplay only works every now and then...

But things are getting better all the time, just hoping I will have my perfect media player before the kids grow and leave home...

So in some way I agree with both of your responses, I am rather displeased with XBMC, but its nice to know that I have other options when I lose all hope in where Kodi is going.
Quote:Its disappointing XBMC is really weak in UPnP/DLNA support, Airplay only works every now and then...

It's even more disappointing, that you don't learn to code and improve that situation.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
UPnP is really weak in general. It doesn't let you take advantage of all the Library functions anyways. So if you want to make use of XBMC, don't use UPnP.

If you are worried about bandwidth then upgrade your network. You shouldn't have to transcode on your LAN.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
And another coder - that wants to improve upnp within xbmc in his freetime. Nice, you two could really improve the situation - waiting for patches, thx in advance.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-09-23, 09:57)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:Its disappointing XBMC is really weak in UPnP/DLNA support, Airplay only works every now and then...

It's even more disappointing, that you don't learn to code and improve that situation.

Yep..., I do not do KODIng and I have myself to blame for that..., but the people that do claim to actually code could do a better job..., what is their excuse?
My HDI Dune is still streets ahead in BD material playback than XBMC.
This forum is full of yes man, how about some constructive criticism ....
I think Koders that have skills also have real life's and none is paid for a job most take for granted and keep insulting their work. Also one would have to have interest in doing such improvements like a reason, e.g actually use that and be annoyed it doesn't work.

Since most developers would have (I guess) machines that dont require transcoding, then it requires users to get creative with workarounds and users only get creative with criticism Wink

but thats my view, I bet other reasons is that they like you are also lazy and waiting for someone to do it for them, for a change!
(2014-09-23, 13:25)astropolak Wrote:
(2014-09-23, 09:57)fritsch Wrote:

Yep..., I do not do KODIng and I have myself to blame for that..., but the people that do claim to actually code could do a better job..., what is their excuse?
My HDI Dune is still streets ahead in BD material playback than XBMC.
This forum is full of yes man, how about some constructive criticism ....

Not sure about "positive criticism" by a non coder that tells freetime devs to do a better job ...
if we had only a fraction of unhappy users that send patches this stuff would already work.
Work on transcoding has started ~1year ago, but the dev simply doesn't have the time to finish it, because of - you know - real life and a _day job_.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
On the fly transcoding in UPnP server0