Play subsequent video files without 'gap'?
Hello,

First of all: thank you very much for the XBMC Team. Great work!

My question: is there a way to play subsequent video files 'seamlessly', i.e. without the short gap between them?

I am using XBMC13 / OpenElec 4.0.7 on my Raspberry Pi overclocked to Turbo mode. My video files are organised in folders on an NFS share on my NAS (QNAP TS119).

I have lots of home video files of the kids. A typical video file is around 5 to 10s long. When I play files in a folder (in file mode) with the XBMC "Play the next video automatically" box ticked, there is a short gap (1-2seconds) between the end of one file and the start of the playback of the next file.

I find the gap is minimised when buffering is disabled in 'advancedsettings.xml' for local network files (buffermode 0). But it is still there (around 1-2s). When the buffermode is set to 1, it seems that XBMC only starts to fill the buffer of the next file after the first file has stopped playing which increases the delay which makes the gap longer.

Is there a setting which tells XBMC not to leave a gap before playing back the next file? Or to start buffering the next file before the current file has finished playing?

Many thanks in advance,

Thomas

P.S. Here is my advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>0</buffermode> <!-- Default is 0 -->
<cachemembuffersize>20971520</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
<readbufferfactor>5.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- Default is 1.0 -->
</network>
</advancedsettings>
Welcome to forums.

Short Answer: I dont think so.
Long Answer: No.

mm wait Wink

Ok, You need to have a gap, the file does need to stop before the next track can begin, in music you can do that, with both audio/video trac atm you cannot. I imagine that refresh rate change also affects this delay as well as speed to access file.
On a proper HTPC i.e. not a overclocked toy, you get ~1sec in between, via smb/nfs or local.

You can make it a feature request, but then you need a developer who has interest and time in implementing some sort of crossfade (without the fade or gap) for videos, good luck with that though. Smile

edit found http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1799374 old thread about same thing.
Many thanks for your response (although it wasn't the one I had hoped for)!

On my laptop PotPlayer plays such files back near seamlessly -- although only for files on the local drive. And video editing software (I use Edius) also allows seamless playback of unedited files even over the network.
But I realise that this may require special develoment efforts and that it may not be possible on the RPi.

I will work my way through the other thread you noted.
Hi, yes answers of this type rarely tend to be the answer you look for especially when the software you want to do this is fundamentally different from the one you use and does this. The Rpi may even be capable but this feature will require development. If you believe in the gods of binar maybe you sacrifice a few bytes and bits in hope sometime in future this is implemented.

You can however setup external players and if the player does this you can use that instead from within xbmc. See External_players (wiki) and also thers a few other topic here on forums about that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play subsequent video files without 'gap'?0