NFO per-episode
If what I've read in the documentation is correct, Kodi should support the ability for per-episode NFO files that have episode information or a URL, so long as the nfo file is named the same as the avi/mkv/mp4.

My question is if the feature can be modified or if it currently works with individual episodes being stored in their own directories. A typical case would be if the files are still in RAR format and not unpacked to the mp4/mkv/avi.

I'd imagine it should work something like the movie NFO feature, where we have the option "use directory name" and then a file in each directory called "movie.nfo" that contains a relevant URL. Is there a way to do "episode.nfo" per episode directory and have it parse in a similar fashion?

Thanks!
rar e
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
And yet, that wasn't the question...

I'm not asking for advice on how to handle my media. I'm asking if an existing feature (NFO files for episodes) can support taking the name from the folder, like movies do. Or more importantly, if the feature can _ever_ support this, even if it means doing a custom mod or plugin.
Yeah sorry I know it didn't answer your question, you are absolutely right.

However I do find that all of the problems which arise when people keep files in rar archives are alleviated by extracting the rar and doing without them!

Cheers.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So basically, my grievance with the stance of "if you're having problems with RAR, then stop using RAR", is that if XBMC/Kodi supports RAR, it should support it all the way.

This feature wasn't necessarily gated on having video files in RAR format. You could have a person, for whatever reason, likes to store individual video files in their own directory, and my question would still apply.

I think it's no longer worth having the argument on RAR vs extracted, as functionally there is _no_ difference in how XBMC/Kodi handles the files.

Sorry for the rant. Back to the original question. Let's say instead that I'd be curious about implementing this myself and providing it as a patch. Does anybody have some suggestions on how I can implement this? I'd be inclined to start by copying the movie.nfo code and tvshow.nfo code and making a new episode.nfo ability. Where would this code live?
Personally I don't know where in the code it appears, and all I can do is point you to https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc

Personally if I was looking to do this I would clone the git repo and start using grep to find the right code.

Good luck though, the codebase is large, and hard for a beginner to understand, especially if (like me) you don't know one end of c++ from the other.
I've found where the movie.nfo and tvshow.nfo files are added to the search path. I was going to try to load the project to build on my Linux box, but it's hopelessly out of date and I can't satisfy the dependencies. I guess it's back to Windows for the time being.

From what I can gather in the code, it's not too terribly complicated to add support for a new "episode.nfo" file. Right now I'm just trying to figure out why there is a "CheckForNFOFile" that handles tvshow.nfo, and then "GetnfoFile" that handles movie.nfo.

Once the project is loaded into VS, I'm sure more will become clear. I'll post back here with my findings, and if I'm able to build a version that does what I'm looking for, I'll work on submitting a code diff to git.

If anybody has suggestions for my mod, please drop them here!
You may be better to post in the development area of this forum ;-)
Fair point. I'll spin up a thread there if I get stuck.
From my experience, a tvshow has two different NFOs. The tvshow.nfo defines the TV show itself, whereas the S01E01.nfo (or something like that) defines the individual episode. At the episode level, the .strm just needs to match the .nfo file name. The .strm can point anywhere (well almost), I assume a rar file would be acceptable.

The "movie.nfo" only has to describe the movie. You can separate tv shows into individual directories or at least it's very common to have them separated into "season 1, season 2...' directories. I haven't tried it, but I can't see why it wouldn't work for individual episodes. I don't think you need to mess with core code to achieve this.
Problem with that is, unless you explicitly craft the episode NFO files, they could be named anything. Hence the desire for a core method that searches for "episode.nfo", which would be a Kodi-construct much like tvshow and movie NFO files.

The idea here is to have the episode.nfo point to a specific entry in say TheTvDb or TVRage, in the case of poor naming or bad numbering.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFO per-episode0