Installing PulseAudio in XBMCbuntu
I want to use Steam on XBMCbuntu as well as using XBMC. I'll only be using Steam through in-game streaming from my Windows machine. The issue I currently have is there is no sound when streaming. The audio is outputted to HDMI and I get ALSA PCM Underruns when I try to stream. I tried installing a game in Steam on my media box and the audio works fine. I think this maybe a limitation with Steam. Now what I want to know is it possible to install PulseAudio on XBMCbuntu without any issue to test to see if Steam needs to use Pulseaudio?
Yes it is. You will be on your own with audio problems afterwards though.

Remove the relevant files from /etc/apt/preferences.d/ run sudo apt-get update afterwards and then sudo apt-get install pulseaudio libasound2-plugins

We had a reason to uninstall PA and make it uninstallable.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
That is a fair call, the whole thing is a rock in a hard place. I'll probably make an image of my current xbmc install and try it and see how it goes. If everything goes haywire I can revert back.
See the xbmcbuntu guide in my steam launcher thread, it has info on how get sound in BPM, either via dmixing in alsa or pulseaudio. Ive had best results with pa, you can start/stop pa with steam and have the best of both worlds.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing PulseAudio in XBMCbuntu0