Linux Mini-ITX SoC providing coaxial SPDIF?
Hello everybody

I have read through the sticky threads and have used the search function but did not find an answer to my question.

Currently I am running raspbmc in conjunction with an hifiberry digi board that feeds my music fidelity v90 dac via coaxial spdif. As I am getting tired of the bad performance the pi shows I would like to build a more powerful system.

My requirements are as follows in descending priority:
  • Fanless and dead silent
  • Coaxial SPDIF audio port
  • HDMI port
  • Gigabit LAN
  • Mini ITX form factor
  • SATA or mSATA port
  • No ARM or Atom CPU

I have been searching high and low but coudnt find a SoC board fullfilling the above requirements. The Asrock Q1900-ITX looks very promising but only provides a TOSLINK audio output. Using a converter is no option for me.

Is there any system/plattform/barebone out there that can fullfill the above requirements?

Thanks in advance for your input!!
I am not aware of any embedded mini-ITX motherboards with coax output. If you can find one with a S/PDIF header you could use one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-SPDIF-Optic...0540056446

The only mini-ITX motherboard I know with a coax digital output is the Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3. You could pair that with a G16x0 and a put it in a fanless case or use a large CPU cooler.
Is a USB to SPDIF device an option?
Thanks for replying. After doing a lot of research I came to the conclusion that I have to redefine my requirements, as there seems to be no boards except the mentioned that are fanless or SoC boards that fulfill the req's:

Especially when talking about Linux and *BSD support I am wondering with which boards you guys have made good experience?

- Fanless and dead silent
- Coaxial and/orTOSLINK SPDIF audio port
- Should run FreeBSD or Linux on it
- SoC
- HDMI port
- Gigabit LAN
- Mini ITX form factor
- SATA or mSATA port
- No ARM or Atom CPU
ASRock Q1900/Q2900 series

BTW, "Atom" is a brand name. What was Atom previously is not what Atom is now. There are even two kinds of Celeron and Pentium, also brand names. You might find in the press the J1900 called "Atom" or "Celeron" or "Atom-based Celeron" (whatever that is).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini-ITX SoC providing coaxial SPDIF?0