Using 2 HDHomeRuns with Mythtv & XBMC
Hey guys,

I have successfully set up Mythtv, XBMC, and HDhomerun (OTA, not Prime) and can watch and record great. I actually have 2 different HDHomerun boxes, one that can transcode and one that cant. I have all 4 tuners (2 per HDHomerun) configured in Mythtv. The HDHomeruns are connected to a Leaf antenna via a splitter. I have confirmed that both boxes work fine.

I noticed last night, when all the new shows started that apparently it will only use one of the units. I can record 2 different shows, but not 3. It doesn't show a conflict, it just tries to record them and I get a blank file.

I am hoping that this is just a simple setup snafu on the backend. I have each tuner configured with my schedulesDirect feed, but am only using one recording group, thinking that Mythtv would know to use an unallocated source when it needed it. I know something is screwy thought, because while I should have 4 tuners, I see this on my mythweb backend:
Encoder 6 [ HDHOMERUN : 104074DE-0 ] is local on deepthought and is not recording.
Encoder 7 [ HDHOMERUN : 104074DE-0 ] is local on deepthought and is not recording.
Encoder 8 [ HDHOMERUN : 104074DE-1 ] is local on deepthought and is watching Live TV 'The Queen Latifah Show' on WAFF. This recording is scheduled to end at 4:00 PM.
Encoder 9 [ HDHOMERUN : 104074DE-1 ] is local on deepthought and is not recording.
Encoder 10 [ HDHOMERUN : 1050857E-0 ] is local on deepthought and is not recording.
Encoder 11 [ HDHOMERUN : 1050857E-0 ] is local on deepthought and is not recording.
Encoder 12 [ HDHOMERUN : 1050857E-1 ] is local on deepthought and is not recording.
Encoder 13 [ HDHOMERUN : 1050857E-1 ] is local on deepthought and is not recording.

I know that is not a lot of detail, but I am at work now. I plan to dig into the configuration when I get home.

Basically, I want to know if anyone is using a setup like this. Can I use 2 HDHomeruns, 1 antenna, 1 backend, and get 4 tuners to work record/watch 4 different feeds? Do I have to manually specify a recording group for each HDHomerun? I know that I don't for each tuner, maybe because the HDHomerun box handles that itself. I am fairly new to mythtv.
I have two HDHRs and both are used fine. I can record on four muxes at once.

This is probably more a question for mythtv support places like the mythv-users mailing list.

One quick thing you can look at is look in mythweb upcoming recordings page. Are conflicts noted?

I assume both these HDHRs are getting exactly the same programming. They should have only one video source in mythtv-setup. Is that how you set it up?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Strange, I tried to post an update last night but its not here.

I figured out the problem. I had set up each tuner specifying that it could record 2 streams at a time. That's why I had 8 tuners showing up.
Also, I set each tuner to its own input group.

All works fine now, I can record 4 streams! Now to get mythicalLibrarian working properly...

Another issue I had is that my HDHomerun that can transcribe HDTC-2US likes to crash. My plain old HDHR4-2US never has a problem. May have to get another one...
So how many virtual tuners have you allocated to each tuner now? I have it set to 4, so I have a total of 16 tuners in mythtv's eyes.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using 2 HDHomeRuns with Mythtv & XBMC0