Raspberry Pi and Surround Sound
Pi is connected to my Plasma TV via HDMI. The TV has digital audio out port. The retailer has advised:
Unfortunately surround sound from the basic home theatres they do not support 5.1 from apple tv or raspberry pi.
Can the forum confirm or clarify this please and perhaps advise how to get surround sound
You need to tell us more about this "basic home theatre" - does it have an HDMI input, or just digital audio input and no video input/output?

If it's only got audio input, you probably need to look at something like the Hifiberry or Wolfson DAC for the Pi, then you can connect the DAC to your amplifier using the optical connection for 5.1 audio.

Another arguably easier (but likely more expensive) option is to use a device that extracts the 5.1 audio from the HDMI and outputs it over optical.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Basic home theatre is the retailers comment. At the present I have no home theatre. Just the Panasonic plasma tv which has three HDMI connections and a digital audio output (and a few other coloured outputs) Two of the HDMI are in use - Raspberry Pi and Apple TV 2. I have looked at various Samsung and Panasonic home theatre packages. Retailers have told me so long as the TV has a digital audio output then I can connect the home theatre package to the TV. It seems to me the home theatre package is managed by the blu ray player supplied with the home theatre package. The retailers keep referring to 5.1 Channel and suggest the Pi audio stream won't be able to be played in surround sound. An example of what I have considered is:

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/audio-...74794.html

Im not technical, but we are able to get audio from the Pi stream to the TV and my simplistic thinking is if I can get surround sound from regular (terrestrial) tv using these digital audio output connections I should be able to achieve the same with the Pi stream
If your set has a HDMI in,
What not all compact sets have you're able to get some kind of 5.1 audio.
But not all audio formats are supported by those systems.
If they say they support it it mostly only the internal blu-ray player that has the ability.
Most people that I know that bought such a compact set are sorry that they bought it.

My personal advise would be look for those so called starters 5.1 sets.
With a separate reciever and sometimes a blu-ray player and with included speakers.
Onkyo is one of those brands that sells them.
Those sets have more connection options and the possibilities and more future proof.
Also there audio quality is much better then those compact sets.
And they would support almost all audio formats if not all.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi and Surround Sound0