Intel NUC banding issue
I recently bought an Intel NUC (DE3815TYKHE) and successfully installed OpenElec 4.0.7. I use it to play remuxed 1080p blu-rays on my tv. Everything works fine, except the video shows banding. This banding does not appear when I play the original blu-ray on my blu-ray player.

I've tried to search the forums and banding is reported on Intel NUCs, but no clear solution is provided. Some say it has something to do with RGB full range vs. limited range, and it's advised to output as 'limited range', which makes sense. However, in my OpenElec settings, limited is already selected. My tv (Pioneer plasma) is set on 'auto detect' but there is no difference in picture quality when I force my tv to display RGB limited range.

Any suggestions?
Yep been there. I installed MPC-HC in windows 7 as the media player plus LAV filters. If you add dithering this should make things better. You can add this as the default player for XBMC.

Panasonic plasma for me. Think plasmas don't help.
(2014-09-24, 14:54)Krizna Wrote: I recently bought an Intel NUC (DE3815TYKHE) and successfully installed OpenElec 4.0.7. I use it to play remuxed 1080p blu-rays on my tv. Everything works fine, except the video shows banding. This banding does not appear when I play the original blu-ray on my blu-ray player.

I've tried to search the forums and banding is reported on Intel NUCs, but no clear solution is provided. Some say it has something to do with RGB full range vs. limited range, and it's advised to output as 'limited range', which makes sense. However, in my OpenElec settings, limited is already selected. My tv (Pioneer plasma) is set on 'auto detect' but there is no difference in picture quality when I force my tv to display RGB limited range.

Any suggestions?

Yes, you need to use Full Range output - otherwise this Limited settings makes no sense. Something like: DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" Full

should set that mode. Keep your TV on full range if that is possible and compare. If both can do full range, don't set the "Limited" setting within xbmc.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-09-24, 14:54)Krizna Wrote: I've tried to search the forums and banding is reported on Intel NUCs, but no clear solution is provided.

You'll need to set the GPU to full range using xrandr (so it doesn't scale the signal level) and XBMC to limited range (so it keeps the original signal level). If you use VAAPI decoding, you'll need to enable sw filtering to bypass hardware colorspace conversion.

See this message for more details.

(2014-09-24, 14:54)Krizna Wrote: My tv (Pioneer plasma) is set on 'auto detect' but there is no difference in picture quality when I force my tv to display RGB limited range.

Any suggestions?
Unlike Panasonic plasmas, Kuros obey the quantization range bit in the HDMI signal.

If you use the settings above (xrandr full range, xbmc limited range) to avoid banding, you'll need to force your tv to limited range RGB input.
(2014-09-24, 18:46)fritsch Wrote:
(2014-09-24, 14:54)Krizna Wrote: I recently bought an Intel NUC (DE3815TYKHE) and successfully installed OpenElec 4.0.7. I use it to play remuxed 1080p blu-rays on my tv. Everything works fine, except the video shows banding. This banding does not appear when I play the original blu-ray on my blu-ray player.

Any suggestions?

Yes, you need to use Full Range output - otherwise this Limited settings makes no sense. Something like: DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" Full

should set that mode. Keep your TV on full range if that is possible and compare. If both can do full range, don't set the "Limited" setting within xbmc.
Uhm... Can you expand on that? Are those XBMC, OpenElec or TV settings? Pointers to Wiki pages if you have them would be nice too.

I really hate banding and I also have MKV's I ripped directly from blu rays.

I'm running OpenElec 4.1.6 on a Foxconn AT-7500 (Sandy Bridge i5 with HD 4000 graphics) and a Panasonic Plasma.
Oh wow...
I just went through all of the settings on XBMC and the TV that seemed to relate.

I changed my TV from "Standard" (rgb 16-235) to "non Standard" (0-255) and verified the XBMC setting

No banding and oh boy the picture looks better.
I want to thank you for your suggestions, but unfortunately they didn't help. I set "xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" Full", set XBMC to limited, turned on VAAPI sw filtering on, forced my Kuro Plasma to limited, but it had no effect. In fact, due to my Kuro Plasma settings, video on my regular blu-ray player turned pink. And due to VAAPI sw filtering, video on my NUC was stuttering probably due to lack of CPU power.

Any more suggestions?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC banding issue0