Minix x8-h vs. Tronsmart orion r28
I'm replacing my Apple TV 2 soon and I basically narrowed it down between two choices: The Minix x8-h and the Tronsmart orion r28. I've only seen reviews, so I have no prior experience with either of these media boxes. Basically, I wanted to post this thread to get some feedback on both of these boxes. Any advice would be very helpful! I will be using the box mostly for xbmc, but I wouldn't mind being able to have some other cool apps and a web browser. I'll also be using this for 3d content. Any thoughts?

Thanks
What about Fire TV? Also, only SBS and top/bottom 3D will be supported on all these I believe.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
How is 3d playback on the fire TV? Also, does the fire TV allow you to mirror Apple devices?
SBS and T/B playback works just fine via XBMC on FTV. Re: mirroring, I haven't tried... what Android app can I sideload for this? Re: AirPlay, it partially works via XBMC. Sometime only audio, other times video works, but then stops working.
My HT
try this thread XDA Devs

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2764848
EZcast screen mirror. It's FREE
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-09-25, 03:31)BigB42078 Wrote: try this thread XDA Devs

I just tried AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO) and it partially works. Mirroring, 720p video and music/audio AirPlay just fine. But, 1080p video stutters, like clips shot with my iPhone 5's built-in camera.
My HT
Are you able to browse the web via the fire TV? Also, does the fire TV have the IR mouse control? How challenging is it to get xbmc on the far TV? Easier or harder than the Apple TV 2?
Yes, if you sideload Android versions of Google Chrome or Firefox, you can use either to browse the web. No IR on FTV unless you use an IR remote w/USB dongle.

Getting XBMC on FTV is easier than ATV2. Just grab XBMC APK file here, then use this tool to push to your FTV. Just enable 'ADB Debugging' and 'Unknown Sources' (latter only if your FTV has latest firmware) in FTV settings first. Once installed, find XBMC under Settings > Applications and click to launch. If you want it on the main/home menu w/an icon, rooting and additional tools are needed (a little more complicated and newer FTV's aren't rootable).

BTW, you can use the tool I linked to above to install any APK file to your FTV. Some work, some don't.
My HT
(2014-09-25, 13:22)hdmkv Wrote:
(2014-09-25, 03:31)BigB42078 Wrote: try this thread XDA Devs

I just tried AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO) and it partially works. Mirroring, 720p video and music/audio AirPlay just fine. But, 1080p video stutters, like clips shot with my iPhone 5's built-in camera.

Probably a limitation of the phone sounds like it only mirrors at 720p. From imore site

"For the iPhone 5, there's AirPlay. You can stream 1080p video to a third generation Apple TV (which supports 1080p) or 720p video to the second generation little black box (which doesn't support 1080p), and you can mirror your iPhone 5 to either black streaming box at 720p. For what it's worth, 720p at 720x1280 pixels is close to the iPhone 5's turned-sideways screen resolution of 1136x640. Either way it would have to be scaled up to 1080p, so broadcasting the mirroring at 720p offloads that upscaling processing to the external display instead of the iPhone, saving precious battery life, preserving Wi-Fi bandwidth, and keeping that A6 processor a bit cooler."
I have received my Amazon fire TV, and have successfully installed Xbmc/Kodi on it. It works pretty much flawlessly! Now, if anyone can help me out, what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of rooting the fire TV? Also, what is the most stable version of Xbmc/Kodi is running best on the fire TV, and how would I install Google Chrome?
read post #9
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix x8-h vs. Tronsmart orion r280