Old Mac Mini will it work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
nickr Offline
Donor
DBMandrake congratulations on such informative and clear posting.

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the plus button and increase my reputation :)
find quote
aaronb Offline
I used one of those for a couple years and my experience was very different from yours DBMandrake. Interface was not snappy. It was not unusable, but there was definitely some lag. Even on my current 2010 Mac Mini with a 2.4 GHz C2D skins like Aeon Nox are a little slow. Again, very usable, but you can detect some lag when you're scrolling through a list of movies with fanart, etc. Software decoding of 720p x264 mkvs was hit or miss, with a lot of content dropping frames.

It's possible that this has improved with later versions of XBMC, I stopped using that box in 2011.
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
XBMC has become drastically more efficient since 2011. The GUI, playback, everything.

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
DBMandrake Offline
Fan
I only started using XBMC on this box at Frodo 12.0.

I've never had problems with dropped frames or stutter on 720p video - almost everything I watch is 720p or higher from all kinds of sources...

Sure, very heavy skins aren't perfectly fluid and smooth in their animations (it takes a very beefy box to make the old Aeon Nox completely fluid) but I wouldn't call it laggy either.

Response time in the GUI is still a fraction of a second or after the animation completes, whichever is applicable.

Remember we're comparing it to the guys AppleTV2 which has a very weak single core CPU and 256MB of ram. If Aeon Nox ran at all on an ATV2 response time would be in the order of 10's of seconds for every click...(I've tried it on a 512MB fully overclocked Raspberry Pi and the old Aeon Nox is horrendously slow to the point of comedy)

Not saying the Mac is the best thing ever but for a 7 year old machine it still runs it very well especially now I have multi-threaded decoding turned on Wink It's still a massive improvement over an AppleTV 2 so I think the original poster will be pleased.

Having more than the original 1GB of ram may help with the really heavy skins as free memory is tight - I'll report any changes I notice when I upgrade the ram in a few days.
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 09:09 by DBMandrake.)
find quote