Linux Ubuntu 14.04 desktop 64b
Lately I started downloading 1080HD movies to play with xbmc, sorry Big Grin kodi but something breaks big time.

Software:
UB desk 14.04 64b
xbmc 12.something, just added the ppa and downloaded the latest ubuntu version (was not working with the official repo version either)
Prefer your latest ppa, more modest GUI, settings are less complicated and more user friendly)

Hardware
I3 530 @2.9ghz
4GB RAM
Went and bought a new nvidia card today (thinking it would solve the problem) got an 610GT

720HD never had issues
1080HD the videos start but after a few seconds or minutes they get laggy. The frame rates drops to 10 or below and cpu-xbmc goes above 100% and never drops back.
While the cpu-xmbc is 100% plus, 3 cup cores show averages 20% to 40% and 1 core is 100%... this 100% moves from core to core but never drops.
Playing the movie with the debug on (the above stats) and navigating to system menu, status, the cup bar averages 50%

The audio is set to analogue 2.0. The Official repo version add a bunch of options that I fiddle with while reading the forum here (VDPAU, etc), This new ppa version removes those settings except for the analogue audio... set to 2.0

After a couple of minutes, the frame rate drops to 0 while the cpu-xbmc continues to rize until the computer just shuts off, not talking about a normal shutdown!

Everything plays fine on vlc... I'm clueless?
Debug Log - nobody can see what goes wrong.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Let me get you a fresh one. Post back in 5 minutes
here you go
pastebin

besides being 32b Big Grin do you see something
Yeah, use the nVidia drivers rather than Nouveau. Mine is version 331.38 and I have no issues Smile

Change to expert settings to see passthrough options etc
Learning Linux the hard way !!
thanks, I'm using 331.38 nvidia proprietary drivers.
I see an log error initializing vdpau.
Quote:18:32:58 T:2692541248 DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Setting up GLX
18:32:58 T:2692541248 DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: GL_VENDOR:nouveau, not using nvidia-settings

No you don't
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
wow, the drivers GUI says yes
command line says no:
description: VGA compatible controller
product: GF119 [GeForce GT 610]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0

@fritsch & @ black_eagle

Don't waist any more time... this is an old installation. Going to flash the drive with ubuntu 64b and will try xbmc again.
Will post back after that... with a clean system
Quote:capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0

nouveau (!). The screenshot is irrelevant.
Fresh install of ub desk 64b
Fresh 331.38 nvidia proprietary drivers
Fresh xbmc from repo
Fresh Samba Shares for torrent setup

Everything seems fixed. Getting 60fps on idle (menu) and 24fps on HD 1080 movies
cpu-xbmc in 6 / 7% on HD 1080 movies.

Last Question is.... should I be getting more fps on hd movies playback... or average of 24fps is the norm (does not seem to get any higher during play)?
@zap1. That is good. You want the video player to play it back at the exact frame rate recorded in general. There is less of a chance of artifacts, that you may see, this way. Limitations to doing 24p/23.976fps/24hz are your panel, video card and avr.. If you want it force 60/59.94fps then under video in expert mode deselect match refresh rate to video.. Then kodi will copy frames to make 60fps out of 24. You might see Judders as frames drop. On most panels I prefer 24p. The picture is clearer IMHO. People pay a lot of money for 23.976 playback. Or at least they used to. Wink
If you press 'o' during playback you get an overlay which shows the framerate that the movie is recorded at, and that it is playing back at. Ideally they should match.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 14.04 desktop 64b0