WIP PSU Recommendation
I am in the process of building my first fileserver. I need help selecting a PSU.

I already have a case. And from what I understand, I can use any PSU with this case.

If that is the case, what wattage will I need? Are there any other factors that would affect this?

Thanks.
Factors that affect the wattage you will need:

CPU
Motherboard
Memory
Graphics
Number and type of hard drives
Other peripherals

Given you're looking at a mini-ITX case with 4 x 3.5" + 2 x 2.5" HDD maximum and if you're not putting a discrete graphics card in it (unlikely for a server) then a 300W PSU will likely be all you need. A 3.5" needs about 10W/drive for spin up. Don't bother with 80+ Platinum and all that, 80+ Bronze is enough for a fileserver since you will be operating at a mostly low wattage where a PSU is most inefficient (80+ only applies at 20%-100% of max).

This Seasonic is always my go-to 300W PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151086 -- you will need a power cord for it. Check the connectors to see if you need any SATA power splitters/adapters.
Seasonic is a great choice. I just got a be quiet l8 300w that's really amazing for the pricetag although it's not modular.

Edit: L8 not L7
Okay.

I will be using WD 4TB Red HDDs most likely. I will have 4 of them. So that makes 16TB of storage. I will be using a SSD for the OS.

I haven't purchased any components, other that the case I'm not set on certain brands (other that WD).

I was thinking that a PSU is next in the order of things. Then a motherboard.

Thanks.
I've seen some people talking about fanless PSUs.

Is this something I should look into? I'm trying to keep the system quiet, but I'm not sure how much noise it will make with a fan.
Just built a kabini setup:
athlon 5350
asus am1l
samsung 840 ssd
corsair 4gb 1600mhz
fractal design node 304

and the psu "be quiet L8 300w", i honestly cant hear the computer running 1,5m away.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PSU Recommendation0