Speed up SMB?
Hi all,
I have been using XBMC for a couple of years now on multiple platforms and it's 'Bob on'! Thanks to all involved!

Right, I now have it installed on my Raspberry Pi (Model B+) in the form of RaspBMC, and I use it to stream my media (wirelessly as wired is not possible) from a 2TB drive that is connected to my Technicolor router (via USB) by way of SMB. All of this works fine... but i am trying to improve the performance of the network access if possible.

Currently, when opening the library of media (complete with metadata) on the Pi, the interface is rather slow (perhaps as expected due to the number of files exceeding 100+), and also when begining to play a video, there is a delay of about 35 seconds between pressing 'Play' and the movie starting.
Now, I accepted this as the norm, and it is no major issue, but when I tested the UPnP facility of the router and adding the library via this protocol, access to my media was vastly improved (no more than a couple of seconds to start the streaming of a film). This method is of no use to me due to the lack of scraping ability.

Now that I have seen how quick file access can be, I'm wondering if SMB can be altered/tweaked in any settings (config files?) to improve its performance, or if it's already as quick as it gets?

Appologies for my lack of terminology and poor descriptions... I'm a complete novice! Thanks in advance!
I am not sure the speed problem is an SMB access problem...
I have used RaspBMC + XBMC since January and I started out with XBMC 12.xxx.
Then sometime before summer XBMC 13 (Gotham) was released and my Pi updated RASPBMC and XBMC to the latest stuff.
At that point in time my accesses to video on my NAS started to show these delays you are talking about, whereas before the "LOADING" sign appeared almost instantly after selecting the file with the remote OK button.
Now after the XBMC upgrade the GUI is much slower and the action following OK on a selected file is "nothing" for maybe 10-15 seconds, then "LOADING" for another 10-20 seconds and then the video starts playing.

Needless to say I have done exactly nothing on my Synology NAS in the meantime...

I think it is a fault in the XBMC 13 release.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Has your library content increased significantly in this time? Just wondering if the quantity of files are to blame? I was just surprised at how quick UPnP can access data on the same HDD!
Well the obvious first test is to copy a file into a directory of it's own and then see if playback starts much more quickly.

Whenever a file is opened xbmc iterates the directory looking for associated files (e.g. subtitles).
The time this takes is proportional to the number of files.
Having one directory per video (with just that video's associated files) is the preferred set up.

Also make sure there are no archives (rar/zip) in the directory as xbmc will try to examine the contents of those.
Make sure "extract thumbnail and video info" is disabled as that is very slow.

SMB makes all this slower (NFS is preferred). Wifi makes this even slower (wired is preferred).
Thanks for the tips Popcorn! I have already disabled the 'extract thumbnail' option. Wired connection is not possible with my setup, nor is NFS (as I am limited to the routers abilities). I will try placing each video file into its own directory and see if it improves things ?
Any idea if there is a way to speed this process up? Making and renaming 100+ folders will take some time if not! Probably longer than waiting for the movies to load! Ha

Ignore that last request... A quick google came up with this...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19707/qui...d-folders/
@Lengsville - try using one of the numerous media manager that can automatically rearrange and rename your library along with grabbing nfos and meta data. Something like TinyMediaManager or Ember. There are tons of these linked on the suplementary tools subforum
Thanks da-anda ? I'll check them out

I guess this forum doesn't do Emojis from my phone!
Lengsville, your confusing NAS with NFS.

NAS - Networked Attached Storage
NFS - Network File System or as I like to call is Need For Speed!!!

NFS is possible on your file sharing/server computer. Setting it up for OSX is pretty easy with NFS Manager. Windows looks a bit trickier however.

I've just recently put a post in this forum about setting up NFS with OSX

Am I? I don't have a file sharing server or computer so my thoughts were that I can't utilise NFS. My storage is shared via my router... Nothing else... It's plugged into the usb socket that is often used to share a network printer. It obviously has no operating system to run any software on. My router doesn't seem to support NFS; only UPnP and SMB (cifs I think it calls it).
I may be wrong though...

Quick update... I've placed each movie into its own parent folder, re added the source and allowed the scrapers to do their thing, and now everything is... C'est tres rapide!!! Good work Popcorn!
If I'm being amazingly picky... When I click on a film cover, the menu takes me into the folder where I then must select the video file manually. It's a small price to pay and I am still happier to have it this much quicker
You're viewing the source in file mode, not in library mode.
You go through Videos/Files, right?
For the library mode you should go through Movies in the central menu (it will appear once you scrap your movie source).
(2014-09-26, 10:52)Lengsville Wrote: My storage is shared via my router... Nothing else...
Routers are generally rather underpowered compared to a real NAS or server, so that probably adds to the delay.

Quote:Quick update... I've placed each movie into its own parent folder, re added the source and allowed the scrapers to do their thing, and now everything is... C'est tres rapide!!! Good work Popcorn!
If I'm being amazingly picky... When I click on a film cover, the menu takes me into the folder where I then must select the video file manually. It's a small price to pay and I am still happier to have it this much quicker

As host505 says, scan the files into the library then use the movies menu option that appears. Check the wiki. e.g.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Set...t_and_scan
It created 'movies' when I added. Perhaps I was viewing via 'videos' accidentally. I'll have a look later to see if that is the case. I normally use a 3rd party remote app on my phone to browse media. It's a much slicker method
(2014-09-26, 11:24)host505 Wrote: You're viewing the source in file mode, not in library mode.
You go through Videos/Files, right?
For the library mode you should go through Movies in the central menu (it will appear once you scrap your movie source).
What is "library mode".
In my XBMC I have VIDEO in the list on the homepage, but below that there
Files
Play lists
Film Addons
(these names are translations from, Swedish)

There is no "Library" here, which would become "Bibliotek" in Swedish.

And there is no MOVIES item at all in the home page (it would be FILMER in Swedish.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
(2014-09-26, 15:52)Bosse_B Wrote: What is "library mode".

Quote:As host505 says, scan the files into the library then use the movies menu option that appears. Check the wiki. e.g.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Set...t_and_scan
The end of section 1 of that page reads:
Quote:Avoid adding a subfolder as a separate source, as XBMC will likely make duplicates if there are two sources that lead to the same files.

This seems to go against advice given above....
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speed up SMB?0