Speed up SMB?
(2014-09-26, 15:52)Bosse_B Wrote:
(2014-09-26, 11:24)host505 Wrote: You're viewing the source in file mode, not in library mode.
You go through Videos/Files, right?
For the library mode you should go through Movies in the central menu (it will appear once you scrap your movie source).
What is "library mode".
The basics of xbmc usage.
(2014-09-26, 16:21)Bosse_B Wrote: The end of section 1 of that page reads:
Quote:Avoid adding a subfolder as a separate source, as XBMC will likely make duplicates if there are two sources that lead to the same files.

This seems to go against advice given above....
Read more carefully the whole section 1. I'll fail explaining better what that sentence means. But you have to understand what library means in xbmc first.
(2014-09-25, 23:42)popcornmix Wrote: Well the obvious first test is to copy a file into a directory of it's own and then see if playback starts much more quickly.

Whenever a file is opened xbmc iterates the directory looking for associated files (e.g. subtitles).
The time this takes is proportional to the number of files.
Having one directory per video (with just that video's associated files) is the preferred set up.

Also make sure there are no archives (rar/zip) in the directory as xbmc will try to examine the contents of those.
Make sure "extract thumbnail and video info" is disabled as that is very slow.

SMB makes all this slower (NFS is preferred). Wifi makes this even slower (wired is preferred).

Would this also apply to music files I tend to have all the albums for an artist stored under a folder for that artist

for example

Music/The Beatles/Red/CD1
Music/The Beatles/Red/CD2
Music/The Beatles/Blue/CD1
Music/The Beatles/Blue/CD2
Music/The Beatles/Revolver
Music/The Beatles/For Sale

etc etc

these are stored on a smb share on a windows server ,would this be better on an nfs share on a linux box, and seperated out to a single mount point with lots of individual folders for each album

it is quite a big music library around 15,000 tracks and I have just moved from a windows 7 PC running xbmc to using a raspberry, as i wanted something silent.

The playback of the tracks is fine but I do notice delays navigating the menus, so looking for ways to speed things up
(2014-09-29, 21:34)tkgafs Wrote: Music/The Beatles/Red/CD1
Music/The Beatles/Red/CD2
Music/The Beatles/Blue/CD1
Music/The Beatles/Blue/CD2
Music/The Beatles/Revolver
Music/The Beatles./For Sale

That structure looks perfect. You have a reasonable number of items in each directory.
Putting every album in a single directory would be worse as that directory would contain ~1000 subdirectories, which would be slow to fetch.

NFS is generally faster than SMB.
Is the music library has been scanned and you are using a library view (rather than a file view) then it shouldn't make much difference for browsing as the data is fetched from the sql datbase.

It would likely be faster to browse a file view through NFS than SMB. Scanning and playback may also be a little quicker with NFS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speed up SMB?0