Media Player w/ NAS?
Hey everyone,

Although I'm not new to the XBMC scene, I am new to this forum.

Firstly - glad to be on board and looking forward to constructive discussions!

Now for the business part....

I am looking for a viable option for a media player that supports a NAS sort of solution. Only one thing - I need this system to be simple and cost-effective.

My grandparents are looking for something like this; they want to have what XBMC has to offer (Would have to be able to add plug-ins for different movie streaming, Icefilms, 1Channel, etc), and they also want to use a Samba or alike scenario for NAS storage at a reasonable rate (Gigabit ethernet therefore)

Yes - my grandparents may be in their later 70's, but they have new tech before even I do sometimes....

Regardless - any suggestions? I know some people have recommended Ouya, but that unfortunately does not have any sort of NAS or storage capabilities for raw files at decent rates. I'm not too familiar with some of the ready-to-go options out there - can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks in advance!
Your post is confusing. Are you looking for a machine that will connect to a NAS, or are you wanting a machine that will be a fileserver and playback machine?

PS don't mention those plugins, you should read the forum rules Undecided
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes, hard to understand what you are asking.

Running XBMC on a Linux PC will give you a NAS and XBMC on the same PC. Perhaps that is what you are asking for. Perhaps you don't really need a NAS, just a DNLA server for media files.
Just re-read my original post, and yes it was pretty confusing. My apologies - wrote it on the fly.

I actually am looking into ordering them just an Ouya for now, as it has the XBMC functionality they want (plus games for grandchildren) and the rest isn't as important.

On the other hand, I have now finished moving into my new place and have nothing setup for myself either - so now I am looking for something for myself.

Here is my ideal unit:

- Full XBMC support @ 1080p w/ HD audio
- Preferably Android, but Linux is fine as well. Android preferred mainly for apps
- Ethernet port, HDMI 1.4, USB (2.0 or 3.0 w/ 3 preferred)
- Dedicated audio out preferred, not necessary
- Want XBMC to be able to grab and maintain media files from networked NAS or storage that is plugged into my router
- Something not too complicated to setup, and play various media types off of either a local storage or networked NAS

On top of that, I would like either of the following:

- Built-in NAS - I do a lot of music production, and want to be able to store my files securely on a server in my home. I would need reasonable transfer speeds over 5GHZ (laptop) and then Ethernet to the device. Ideally R/W of 40MB/s & 80MB/s. This will also be for storing media files which I would want the media player to have full access to as well. FLAC, MKV, etc. I will be storing all types of files and want to have directories, etc. FTP support as well as I will need to access and read/write remotely

- OR --- I go with a dedicated NAS solution and just get a good media player, such as Ouya? Again, looking for something that can play various types of media files, have full 1080p XBMC support and I would prefer if setting up XBMC isn't too much of a pain (for 3rd party add-ons, such as 1Channel, IceFilms, etc).

Hopefully that makes more sense.

If the recommendation is to go with a dedicated NAS, then I already have one in mind.

Please note - I am currently using an Asus RT-AC68U router that has a USB on the back that supports external HDD's... could technically use this as well as a make-shift NAS solution.
omg everybody keep asking same questions without bothering to read the first 2 pages at list.

HD audio is hard to get on android as of now
XBMC will grab almost IF NOT everything as it has suppot for several networking protocols, the most common SMB (windows) for example.
By a simple "NAS xbmc" google search you'll get a list of NAS devices with xbmc support e.g: Lenovo Beacon
People that knows won't recommend you such a thing but to go with a dedicated NAS better.

If you really want to go android then people will recommend Amazon Fire tv, S82 b/h , rk3288 boxes and pick one that runs great with custom XBMC versions like SPMC (google it) for example OTHERWISE get a chromebox or a i3 NUC plus Windows if you want things as easy as they can get, but then don't complain about the price.

There should be a sticky about looking for the best box?, read this first! and name the pros and cons of the most famous boxes of the season.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-09-29, 19:41)Veronica Wrote: omg everybody keep asking same questions without bothering to read the first 2 pages at list.

HD audio is hard to get on android as of now
XBMC will grab almost IF NOT everything as it has suppot for several networking protocols, the most common SMB (windows) for example.
By a simple "NAS xbmc" google search you'll get a list of NAS devices with xbmc support e.g: Lenovo Beacon
People that knows won't recommend you such a thing but to go with a dedicated NAS better.

If you really want to go android then people will recommend Amazon Fire tv, S82 b/h , rk3288 boxes and pick one that runs great with custom XBMC versions like SPMC (google it) for example OTHERWISE get a chromebox or a i3 NUC plus Windows if you want things as easy as they can get, but then don't complain about the price.

There should be a sticky about looking for the best box?, read this first! and name the pros and cons of the most famous boxes of the season.

Thanks for the response.

I did read the first threads, so thanks for that tip there.

All the points you mentioned I already knew of - but I do appreciate the input absolutely. I was simply asking for suggestions on whether at this point there was a reliable NAS / XBMC option or if going dedicated was a viable option or not - no need to be rude.

Finally, I think I will be going the route of a dedicated NAS. Specifically the Synology DS212J as it's at a reasonable price point without the HDD's and I can setup my RAID as I would like it for fault tolerance.

I'm already programming a full automation system currently so as long as the player I choose can support IR, BT, or TCP/IP control protocols I will be happy.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Player w/ NAS?0