MK809 III RK3188 - overheating issues
Hi

I bought this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111444643899?_...EBIDX%3AIT

I recently purchased this android tv box for my xbmc and it seems to not get along with it at all, it seems to overheat the stick after about 10 minutes of play and then shut down and show "no signal" on the tv - either from my SD/USB or online via xbmc. I was woundering if anyone was able to help me to figure this out.

Thanks
Return it as long as you are in warranty.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi

Yes I had the same issues, the issue is that the box overheats, the mini sticks get really hot with xbmc and youtube and restarts itsself.(This is a common problem with xbmc on android sticks)

How I fixed mine
I had an old router/mother board with a mini heatsink and pulled it off, removed the old glue/sticky pad and then cut a square in my mk809iii over the CPU, I also drilled some small holes around the box (be careful of the wifi antennas! if they rip you are done)

I put some thermal paste on the cpu and made the cut hole i made a little smaller than the cpu, and pushed the mini heatsink through the hole so it was held in place and stayed holding it over the cpu.

Since doing this my stick doesn't even get hot playing full 1080p movies, it stays really cool and has never restarted or shutdown once.

Other things to note, the wifi atenna placement inside these boxes is terrible, the signal is about 10x lower than my other devices, what i did it put the atenna on the outside of the box (make a little hole and let the wire hang out) stick it to a piece of card or paper, my wifi speed is about 5x faster.

Here are some videos to help you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfcgJNOhafA - add heatsink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWcsHH8teAM - improve wifi

Hope this helps!

updated with a fix I did above, its a common problem and this seems to work really well!
Pretty much all these mini sticks have engineering issues with heat dissipation. They are not designed to run at max CPU/Clock for any sustained period of time, they just can't dissipate the heat very well. They work fine until you crank up the ponies and run sustained. Then they fault and freeze/reboot.

The best way to trip this is to do a library scan.
Yes, they get very very hot, even watching a simple video in youtube, the heatsink works wonders though, watching full streaming via xbmc it gets slightly warm if that, it doesnt look as pretty anymore but runs 10x better now. Was fun to mod it, looking at other things I can do with it.

They are powerful little boxes, apart from the issue with heat they run really well.

Whats a library scan?
i hav been running a completely hardware unmodded one for months with xbmc and now kodi fine too (with smic717394 ROM and clockd to 1.8GHz).
however just bought another one which has the T version chip running @ 1.4GHz and on stock ROM it overheats on kodi within 10 minutes even if not playing video. does anyone think this is a dodgy stick or a software isssue that a new ROM would solve?
my Sumvision Android TV Box Cyclone Android X4 is overheating and turning off how do i fix this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MK809 III RK3188 - overheating issues0