Map a key to clear OSD?
Is it possible to map one (same) key to remove OSD-screens in video playback?

Earlier I managed to make a custom keymap that did it, but a recent code change broke it.
(The change that disabled activation of a window that is already selected.)

So I want to use just one button to clear these OSD's (and do nothing if there is no OSD)
O-key (codec-info)
M-key (player controls)
I-key (info)

Any solutions for it? I think a Python script with multiple commands, like here could do it,
but is there an easier one key command solution that I have missed?
What? Im not sure I understand, the key that brought OSD up also takes it off again.
I know, but as I said, I want to use one specific key to clear all OSDs, not the same key that brought the OSD up.

(For some reason many of XBMC's keymap functions/mappings seem unlogical to me, I have been "fixing" them and this is just one of many things. For example I'd like info-key's second press to show more info instead of closing the OSD dialog.)
I don't think there is more info, apart from the specific buttons shown, like Cast etc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-29, 09:50)nickr Wrote: I don't think there is more info, apart from the specific buttons shown, like Cast etc.

I'm talking about what the info button does during playback. At least in my system with one key press you get timeline/title, second press closes timeline/title OSD. But instead I'd like it to bring the window where the plot summary etc. information is. Looks like it's not even possible with a direct keymap command, you'll have to first switch to playlist or title view to be able to show it. Python script with multiple commands probably will be able to do it, I'll test that later.
It's skin dependent. Some skins will show the plot summary during playback, some don't.
(2014-09-29, 10:21)Ned Scott Wrote: It's skin dependent. Some skins will show the plot summary during playback, some don't.

I'm of the opinion that info belongs on the Info screen not the OSD. Wink
(2014-09-29, 10:21)Ned Scott Wrote: It's skin dependent. Some skins will show the plot summary during playback, some don't.

I'm still using the default skin, haven't found a replacement that is better. What I have tested, looks like 3-4 skins have very nice extra features and awesome eyecandy, but something is always wrong or made worse than the default skin. And I'm still trying to get the keymapping right (for me) before I dig more into the skin world. It gets very confusing when some features come from the new skin and some from the system, so I decided to stick with the default.
Your reasoning is alien to us all. If you explained exactly why turning osd off with the standard buttons is not working for you then someone may be able to help. If you just rant against a well thought out system refined over many versions and happily used by thousands of users, you'll get kickback. Up to you.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Was I demanding changes? I just was asking for help in making the system work like I'd like it to work. And I like one button to work like that with OSDs, the same button also does other things (mix of esc, tab, backspace key functions depending where you are). Maybe my usage logic is twisted, but I did find many functions work in a weird way until I made custom keymap additions and changes. That is with a remote control with Flirc.
Try Amber. It took me a little getting used to, but I like it now. I used to only use Confluence. Amber will show plot summary when you press "i"/info during playback.
I mapped a small python script to the key and got it working again like I wanted. The script just switches to video (file) window and then back to fullscreen clearing info and/or codec screens, videoOSD screen clearing uses just keymap mapping method for the same key. The script runs so fast that you don't notice the extra window.

Scripts mapped with custom keymaps open up many customization options that I didn't think before. Maybe next I'll try to change that info-button to work like I want.
I thought the escape key cleared all of them by default.
Escape is one of those unlogical (to me) keymapping and does not clear all. Some it clears, sometimes it goes to previous menu/window/home etc. I gave up using it and use a different key mapped to work the way I like.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Map a key to clear OSD?0