Linux Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver constant switching when sound detected
Hi

I have my HTPC S/PDIF output connected to the S/PDIF audio input on my Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver.
When there is no audio from Ubuntu's system sounds the receiver sits idle, as soon as the system makes a sound such as a key click, the receiver then switches to DTS or the proper audio mode momentarily and no sound is not heard due to the switching delay. The same issue even with audio via HDMI.

This gets to be annoying when running a program that sends an alert such as Skype or GROWL, it switches the receiver but no sound is heard. Running any other audio such as YouTube or XBMC video or audio is fine since the sound is constant and even with silences in a video it is fine since the audio data is still there.

Apparently there is some sort of a way to set the audio in a configuration file or some sort of setting. I have seen this some time ago and can't remember what it was. I have Auto Mute in ALSA disabled and that does not have any effect on the receiver switching modes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
GEE
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ × 2
Memory: 2GiB
Graphics: GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a/integrated/SSE2
HardDrive: 320 GB
DVB: AVerTVHD MCE A180
Keyboard/Mouse: Wireless
OS Type: 14.04 64-bit Trusty
Kodi: 14.x
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
TV: Vizio 42" LCD
Computer was formerly a Captiveworks 3000 HTPC
see if this helps... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183436
Wait, that post is outdated I transfered everything to the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PulseAudio

If you have xbmc running, you can enable "Keep Audio alive": Always. This will send non audible audio to the AVR all the time.

This will only work if you are using pulseaudio, cause if you would use ALSA this would block your output device exclusively. But as you have a full desktop running, you need mixing and be able that other programs can access the soundcard.

So pulseaudio + "Keep Audio alive" is the way to go for you.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you both for the quick replies.

I just set the Keep Alive in Kodi (AKA XBMC) and that helps.

Thanks for that link to the WIKI. That is a big help with setting the audio up in XBMC.

I have nice pleasent sounds set for the regular desktop. Short of turning off all desktop sounds, I was wondering if there is a way to force Ubuntu Trusty to keep the audio from switching everytime there is a short sound. My eyesite is getting a bit dim and the desktop sounds do help. Apparently there is something that can be set to keep a signal on the S/PDIF out.

Having the sounds switching as much as it does is probably going to tweak something in the Receiver. Bad enough that this model receiver has a known capacitor issue on the HDMI board, I don't want to be replacing the relay too. Yeah, they have a relay in there that apparently switches something everytime it detects audio.

Thanks again
GEE
UPDATE...

I found a fix for my situation.
Just make an easy edit to default.pa
Sudo leafpad /etc/pulse/default.pa

Comment this line out. load-module module-suspend-on-idle {Roughly line 127 if you have line numbers in your editor}
To look like this. #load-module module-suspend-on-idle
Save your changes. In the terminal type pulseaudio -k then enter. The change will then automatically take effect.
This has the same effect as the xbmc's "Keep Audio alive option". Besides it sends zeros which some AVRs ignore.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello again Fritsch,

Apparently so, the only issue is that when going to KODI and trying to run any video, the audio does not switch in. I also noticed that it also has an effect on the video too, which I would think it shouldn't, but it plays video for roughly 8 seconds and freezes up.
So I fixed the issue on the desktop side of things , but it doesn't follow through within KODI.
I have tried a few different settings within KODI but no luck. [ redacted my add-on reference, GEE ] Could be that is due to to me messing with the Alpha of Helix. Not a big deal since I am just trying out Alpha 3 from the Nightly and will probably reinstall Gotham 13.2. Unless there is a way to place both packages on the system here and be able to run independent of each other for testing.
By the way; I haven't looked yet, but is there a place such as a specific thread, blog or a QA group for the new upcoming KODI Helix? I would like to get involved maybe as a end user with a Broadcast background.

TC,
GEE
We don't neither support 1channel (which is banned on this forum) nor any other stuff that is used for piracy and provide by 3rd party.

QA can be best done by testing nightly builds and finding regressions - addons needs to be fixed by their authors, we are just the core.
I removed the Add-On reference. I should have known better and used a better example. Sorry.

Is there any specific place to post any findings to QA?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help