Discussion, Concepts and Ideas for Kodi Live TV
(2014-10-02, 08:26)nickr Wrote: Well of course these things will look different in every skin won't they?

There was talks of a new look Kodi, rather than the current Confluence. So this is to bring ideas and concepts together. Of course im not sure of the current plans of the Kodi devs but it cant hurt to discuss?

@jjd-uk

What is it/features you prefer from the youview box rather than others? I havnt used that epg myself.
No harm at all!!!

One thing seems to create constant debate - in EPG should OK/Enter switch to that channel, or should it bring up a recording dialog?

Maybe more emphasis on context menu! We've been right clicking for a decade already haven't we?

This is entirely my view of course and people are free to disagree.

One thing I think on the whole PVR thing is that all menus and so on should emphasise "PVR" not "LiveTV". Rename all that shit!

I have been using Mythtv for many years now, well before XBMC got any PVR action. One thing you learn pretty quick is that LiveTV is not where it's at. You are far better to do a little planning and "record what you want, watch it when you want/have time" Divorce yourself from the network's timetable. If you want to watch the 6.00 pm news at 8:30, do it. Death to channel surfing!!!!!

That is why I advocate less emphasis on "Live" and more on "Recordings".

When a programme I like comes back on for a new season, it records automatically, it pops up in my recordings list at the top (because I order them like that) and I am pleasantly surprised that it is back on. But I am not glued to the set at a certain time. TV is secondary to my lifestyle, not vice versa. EPG becomes way less important and presentation of recordings becomes the focus.

Oooh that turned a bit rantish didn't it! Hope you all get my drift.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-01, 19:04)zag Wrote: There is already a series link PR working its way through github Wink

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5208

Lovely jubbly. I'm guessing this'll be for 15 now as 14 is in feature freeze. I can wait. I'm just going unto the back-end of Argus and setting the series links up from there for the time being. Bit fiddly but it works well.

@produno - My box was the original (Amstrad?) Sky HD box with a tiddly little hard drive, so that was probably part of it. Can only compare it to built-in FreeView in TV sets (usually crap) and XBMC (which is of course, splendid).
(2014-10-02, 09:14)produno Wrote: @jjd-uk

What is it/features you prefer from the youview box rather than others? I havnt used that epg myself.

I've only briefly used a friends box, so it was the overall look more than anything I was impressed by, what I particularly liked was the separate time line and date/day line along the top, but thinking about it that's probably not practical for Kodi as we can only go forward, whereas Youview uses the backwards to access on demand stuff.

One function I don't see in your picture, unless it's part of the Group function, is the ability to switch between displaying only TV channels or only displaying Radio Channels.

While I like your layout design, I'm not so keen on the way it's skinned with not enough contrast between the foreground and background elements in my opinion, but maybe that's just the Amber skin style. For example blue text for the timeline against a blue background, then within body of the EPG light grey text against darker grey background, and with the selected Perfection programme in the EPG the blue highlight seems to merge into the blue background above it, note however this is me being very picky.
Possibly look to use PseudoTV Live by @Lunatixz as the front end? He has done an excellent job and is able to incorporate some of the current backends directly into PTVL. Maybe with some additional help he can move a bit faster through development. In my personal opinion the enhancements he has made have Damn near brought the live tv experience up to par with the rest of xbmc in terms of looks, functionality and experience. Not to mention he has two skins that look similar to what have been posted. Concast and time whorner
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2014-10-02, 09:59)nickr Wrote: One thing seems to create constant debate - in EPG should OK/Enter switch to that channel, or should it bring up a recording dialog?

That's easily solved.

Have a menu with 2 options

View
Record

For example my UK Freeview DVB-T2 HD PVR has this when you select OK on a programme that's live

For maximum flexibility you could have a new setting of "Default select action" spinner ( (similar to the existing Settings -> Videos - File lists -> Default select action) with options:

Choose (launches the above menu)
View (switches channel)
Record (opens record dialog)
(2014-10-02, 09:59)nickr Wrote: One thing seems to create constant debate - in EPG should OK/Enter switch to that channel, or should it bring up a recording dialog?

Maybe more emphasis on context menu! We've been right clicking for a decade already haven't we?

Imo i think this depends on how the user controls XBMC. I use a set of all in one tv remote. So i prefer the OK button to play the channel, then using other buttons for other options. ie, menu to bring up the context menu, or the record button to bring up the record options.

(2014-10-02, 09:59)nickr Wrote: One thing I think on the whole PVR thing is that all menus and so on should emphasise "PVR" not "LiveTV". Rename all that shit!

I have been using Mythtv for many years now, well before XBMC got any PVR action. One thing you learn pretty quick is that LiveTV is not where it's at. You are far better to do a little planning and "record what you want, watch it when you want/have time" Divorce yourself from the network's timetable. If you want to watch the 6.00 pm news at 8:30, do it. Death to channel surfing!!!!!

That is why I advocate less emphasis on "Live" and more on "Recordings".

When a programme I like comes back on for a new season, it records automatically, it pops up in my recordings list at the top (because I order them like that) and I am pleasantly surprised that it is back on. But I am not glued to the set at a certain time. TV is secondary to my lifestyle, not vice versa. EPG becomes way less important and presentation of recordings becomes the focus.

I actually enjoy channel surfing. i dont have set things i watch on tv, i just sometimes flick through if im bored and see what grabs my fancy. Though i think for Kodi to be good at anything Pvr it needs to cater for all types of people. So in this respect i think the LiveTV emphasis is fine, but the Pvr side does still need some work.

Im pretty sure in Helix the recordings view can now be changed to any format you wish, the same goes for any other view. They are all seperate now. I shall be playing around with this when i get the time to see what i can do to improve the Recordings and Timers sections. One of the reasons i posted here was to get ideas for these. Anything that i want to incorporate that cant be i will post in the Pvr development thread to see if a dev can work on said feature. Though im still a rookie when it comes to skinning Smile.

(2014-10-02, 13:05)jjd-uk Wrote: I've only briefly used a friends box, so it was the overall look more than anything I was impressed by, what I particularly liked was the separate time line and date/day line along the top, but thinking about it that's probably not practical for Kodi as we can only go forward, whereas Youview uses the backwards to access on demand stuff.

One function I don't see in your picture, unless it's part of the Group function, is the ability to switch between displaying only TV channels or only displaying Radio Channels.

With Helix, these are now completely seperate. So on the main menu you goto LiveTv to access the view ive shown, then you goto Radio to access the radio views, which is exactly the same view wise.

(2014-10-02, 13:05)jjd-uk Wrote: While I like your layout design, I'm not so keen on the way it's skinned with not enough contrast between the foreground and background elements in my opinion, but maybe that's just the Amber skin style. For example blue text for the timeline against a blue background, then within body of the EPG light grey text against darker grey background, and with the selected Perfection programme in the EPG the blue highlight seems to merge into the blue background above it, note however this is me being very picky.

The Amber skin is.. Amber ;p. Ive completely redone the skin for the LiveTv views. Of course any colour can be used (or depending on the new Kodi colour scheme). The main emphasis should be on how it works and how its layed out.

(2014-10-02, 13:21)bry- Wrote: Possibly look to use PseudoTV Live by @Lunatixz as the front end? He has done an excellent job and is able to incorporate some of the current backends directly into PTVL. Maybe with some additional help he can move a bit faster through development. In my personal opinion the enhancements he has made have Damn near brought the live tv experience up to par with the rest of xbmc in terms of looks, functionality and experience. Not to mention he has two skins that look similar to what have been posted. Concast and time whorner

I have taken a look a PTVL and while Lunatix has done an awesome job i would prefer to use the already incorporated Kodi Pvr system. Using an add on does not seem intuitive to me and makes it feel distant to the rest of Kodi. Not a seamless integration.

(2014-10-02, 13:26)jjd-uk Wrote: That's easily solved.

Have a menu with 2 options

View
Record

Personally as mentioned above i would prefer the ok button to play the currently selected channel.
Record button to bring up a menu like youve shown with recording options, maybe a single record, series record, advanced record options.
Then the menu button to bring up the menu options, or the options Kodi allows.

Though all this depends on what you use to operate Kodi, so i feel being able to turn on/off some functions would be a good feature.
@produno: great work, would like to test it.
You already shared a download location? Couldn't find it. Or a git repo?

Thanks in advance.

Diddle.
Sorry not yet i haven't no. I will do this over the next couple of days. Been pretty busy lately.
Great work Produno.
This EPG idea, is amazing Produno. I REALLY like what you've done, it looks extremely professional. You've done a great job.
--------------------
To Preface this: I know Kodi is open source and obviously you have to spend your resources effectively. We have great skinners and best to spend your time actually on the underlying features and let skinners do their own creative work.

That said:
And I think one of Kodi's weakest point right now is Confluence. When you see what other skinners have done, Confluence somehow just feels "old". Something about it just is off, each view type for viewing your library doesn't feel modern.

My advice for a redesign is to look at the top used skins currently and draw design aspects from that into Kodi's redesign. Especially for the view modes, I find the viewmodes really bad for viewing large libraries and seeing many items at once. A good wallmode would be very nice.

Just my 2 cents, but I love this EPG work.
Also there are a lot of good skins still available, if anything, I'd even just like the wiki to have an imgur gallery of each skin.
When a skin hits "release" status and is in the Kodi repo, it should have an updated imgur gallery in there with at least 10 screenshots. Then that'd help noobies figure out which skin they want to use without going to the forum to see the most updated look.
Edit: Also, you'll never really get the full use out of any skin without spending time in it. I hated Rapier til I just tried it again and I like it a lot more this time around. So much to this program and so many layers of things to access.

So I guess I'd rather make it easier to find active skins and images of that skin in it's current state rather than a better confluence/default skin. The other skins in Kodi are so interesting, If it meant the team having to devote time away from core Kodi work, that'd make me sad when there are already great skins out there.
@tential you can add screenshots to the wiki too
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
The wiki even supports imgur galleries:

{{imgur|ID}}

Where ID is the ID of the album.
(2014-12-09, 13:12)bry- Wrote: @tential you can add screenshots to the wiki too

Is that Kosher of me to add screenshots to someone elses Skin wiki? It's probably one of the few ways I can actually contribute to this since I have very limited coding capabilities.

(2014-12-09, 14:50)Ned Scott Wrote: The wiki even supports imgur galleries:

{{imgur|ID}}

Where ID is the ID of the album.

watch gallery

Edit: nvm, k, I'll update the wiki with some screens of my skin hopping since I constantly switch skins.

Requested an account.
(2014-10-25, 16:47)produno Wrote: Sorry not yet i haven't no. I will do this over the next couple of days. Been pretty busy lately.

To anyone wanting to try this re-skin, I apologise for not uploading it yet. Im currently in the middle of a house move and wont have internet until after xmas now!
Hi!

Here are some suggestion that I think would be worth considering. Some may already have been mentioned, some maybe not:

1) With LiveTV playing and no OSD present the key "Enter" should bring up the channel list instead of doing nothing - this is what 99% of PVRs or satellite receivers do when pression "ok" (I am using IP / Json control)

2) Ability to specifiy a default channel list that gets loaded everytime. -

3) In EPG "timeline mode" pressing "left" should result in going back only 1 show behind currently airing show. Further pressing of "left" should move the focus on current channel and then onto the sidebar.
When the current channel is highlighted pressing "enter" should display the channels EPG in which older shows than the one currently airing can be seen.

The current setting with pressing "backspace" to get to the sidebar is not intuitive.

my 2c :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discussion, Concepts and Ideas for Kodi Live TV0