SPMC on FireTV
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a FireTV. I've seen that SPMC is available in the Amazon App Store but I'm unsure if it is available for download for the FireTV. Can someone tell me if they can download and install SPMC from the Amazon App Store?

Alternatively, it seems that you can sideload the app. If I sideload SPMC does it show up on the home screen? Or do I have to drill down a bunch of layers to get to the App?

I want to have the FireTV screen at the highest possible level have icons for Netflix, Youtube and SPMC. Is that possible?

Thanks.
(2014-09-30, 18:51)atv2jber Wrote: Hi,

I'm interested in getting a FireTV. I've seen that SPMC is available in the Amazon App Store but I'm unsure if it is available for download for the FireTV. Can someone tell me if they can download and install SPMC from the Amazon App Store?

Alternatively, it seems that you can sideload the app. If I sideload SPMC does it show up on the home screen? Or do I have to drill down a bunch of layers to get to the App?

I want to have the FireTV screen at the highest possible level have icons for Netflix, Youtube and SPMC. Is that possible?

Thanks.

The SPMC app in the Amazon App Store is a no go and would need to be sideloaded. The wiki for XBMC on the Fire TV covers everything which includes a guide on how to make XBMC or SPMC an available app on the Fire TV home screen.

5.2 Procedure
1. Install / side-load Llama.
2. Install “Classic TV” app from Amazon app store.
3. Launch Llama (From FireTV - Settings > Applications > Llama > Launch Application).
4. Go to EVENTS on top menu and click '+' to add a NEW EVENT.
5. In your NEW EVENT select ADD CONDITION then, from the Menu select 'Active Application' and select 'Choose App’. Scroll through the list of apps until you find “Classic TV” and select this app. Doing this should return you to the Events Menu.
6. Next, select ADD ACTION and select 'Run Application' from the Menu list. From here, select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. At this point you can also name your event to distinguish it from others.

Now when you start the “Classic TV” app from the Home Screen, it should automatically open XBMC. Feel free to experiment with other apps from the FTV app store. Just be aware that some will loop back and re-start XBMC when you try and exit XBMC to get back to the FTV Home Screen.
I wouldn't say that the SPMC app on the amazon store is no good. It's actually the same app when you sideload it manually.
Amazon just does not "allow" it to be downloaded and installed on the FireTV, only on other devices with a actual touchscreen, Fire Tablets, etc.
@mjbxx, Thanks for the details. I'm not wondering if I side load the launcher version of SPMC and then add Android App short cuts. I really have no need for anything else on the platform. I just need a remote friendly version of Netflix, XMBC and Youtube.

(2014-09-30, 20:13)Diet-Coke Wrote: I wouldn't say that the SPMC app on the amazon store is no good. It's actually the same app when you sideload it manually.
Amazon just does not "allow" it to be downloaded and installed on the FireTV, only on other devices with a actual touchscreen, Fire Tablets, etc.

I interpreted his comment that I can't install it directly from the App Store and have it show up on the Start screen. Instead it needs to be sideloaded, like XBMC, and then some other tweak is needed to make it launch-able from a Start screen app. It's unfortunate.
I'd also like to add that the Classic TV icon on the Fire TV home screen can easily be changed to XBMC or Kodi using the Amazon FireTV Utility App.
Just ordered a FireTV. I think I'm going to go with a simple setup. My requirements are really only to be able to easily launch XBMC via home screen, and also have easy access to amazon apps.

- not going to root
- will sideload SPMC (non launcher version) or maybe XBMC (not sure)
- will setup to Launch XBMC from an Existing App on the FTV Home Screen
- will setup so Classic TV icon on the Fire TV home screen can easily be changed to XBMC or Kodi using the Amazon FireTV Utility App.
I would suggest a slightly different Llama config (a 5.5 step if you will) Smile

Before you set an Add Action to start XBMC (or my recommendation SPMC). Add an action to kill XBMC/SPMC first - (no root required).

This forces SPMC/XBMC into a clean start every time you 'launch' ClassicTV. I'm using liveTV (WMC) and occasionally I can still hang XBMC/SPMC. The above 5.5 step means I can simply press the home button and then restart clean.

Cheers

Tolax
Killing could cause more problems though - if it does hang simply use Fire TV to close it.
For step 2, I would use ikono tv instead of classic tv. Won't see any icon flashup with it and it works in all countries (afaik).
<<- will setup so Classic TV icon on the Fire TV home screen can easily be changed to XBMC or Kodi using the Amazon FireTV Utility App.>>

Oops - this isn't possible unless you root. Okay. Sad
Even though it says root is required all you need to do is reboot and it's changed.
You're right. Thank you very much!
I used Amazon FireTV Utility App.exe to replace the iKnono icon with the Kodi icon. That worked. Last night the icon was correct. However this morning, the icon reverted back to the original iKnono icon again. Any suggestions on how to make it permanent? Thank you kindly.

EDIT: you know, maybe I was in the Apps section where I saw the ugly iKnono app. Maybe I wasn't in Recent Apps. I think the icon only affects the Recent apps section.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SPMC on FireTV0