Server vs XBMC server vs standalone, or, Show Us Your Network
(2014-10-02, 12:06)Mark142 Wrote: Hi nickr ,so to confirm if I install Logitech media server on my N54L and then Xsqueeze Kodi add on on my Openelec clients I can sync the boxes if they are all running Zsqueeze plugin. The boxes would send the stream to the speakers right? But to control it the tv would need to be on to select the add on etc and browse or can you run it all from an app on phone? Thanks

You have the right idea. You need to run the addon on the openelec client to start the squeeze client software. Once that is running you can control with android or ios control software.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for all the replies.
im using smb guys for all my movies but i can only see documents on my network in here i have all my movies but i want to music dvds also but i have to stick them in the movie folder to so then when i scan library its annoying as it brings up all my music dvds in my movie lirbary...

is there anyway i can separate my music from my movies if you know what i mean....
XBMC is looking for music files in the directory you're pointing to from the Music section. I believe I had to put my music videos in the video section. I also made separate links under Video - Kids, Movies, TV, Music Videos, Home Videos, Downloads. I put a link to my Downloads folder under every section, Music, Movies, and Pictures, so I could just download something and immediately access it, without having to move it to the correct directory.
Wrong thread, but yes. Add them using "Music Video's" when you set the content.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
My (new) network consists of my laptop as the server running ServerWMC and Plex (for the bedroom roku3). It is right next to the primary TV as is my chromebox client running openelec/xbmc. The plan is to add another chomebox client running xmbc to the bedroom and upgrade the server to a desktop (or NUC, my laptop isn't handling the WMC recordings playback very well, plus I need it around the house). The thought is that all 3 PCs will be on 24-7.

Now I'm considering options to only have 2 PCs dedicated to this setup.

Option 1: Make the new to be acquired server/desktop a HTPC for the living room running XBMC front end and ServerWMC backend. Then move chromebox to bedroom as xbmc client.

Option 2: The only real need for the bedroom is access to recorded TV. I have a Roku3 in there already so I could use some software to convert the WMC recordings to a format plex can handle. Then I would keep the server in the background and keep the chromebox in the living room right next to it.

Thoughts? I guess I was thinking of the 3 PC setup because I have to have Windows running on my server to record OTA content in WMC and I liked the idea that my streaming clients would be free from that burden. Now I'm not sure it matters as much and am considering the idea of spending more on a server PC and making it do double duty as the main living room HTPC as opposed to stretching the budget to a 3rd PC.
Regarding Plex, are you only using it to get access to the files on the server? If so, I believe there is a (channel? app?) on roku to access network shared files. I helped my sister in law get that set up.

Regarding server vs client, a raspberry pi is cheap and easy to use. I've had a full desktop in the living room before, and they can be loud and not fit with the furniture. The pi gets ziptied or tucked behind the TV.

If you have a server going, there are post processing programs that will turn your recordings in to whatever format you need.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server vs XBMC server vs standalone, or, Show Us Your Network0