USB or SDHC Storage: Does it matter?
Does it matter if I use a 20mbs MicroSDHC or a 80mbs one? I keep reading about how people are installing quality flash drives like SanDisk extreme and realistically getting 20mbs given that the Pi only support USB 2.0.

This is for use on my HDhomerun Prime. Manage to iron out all the kinks in the setup, last thing would be replacing some mediocre Class 10 cards with something a little bit faster to handle the MPEG2 1080p video streams.

For something that claims to 80mb/s read speeds, this should work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...12K1NB1622
I believe there is little difference between a fast sdcard and a fast usb device.
There is a huge difference between a slow sdcard and a fast sdcard,

Pay no attention to the class or the headline figure. These just define the speed of continuous reads or writes which are not relevant in practice.

What matters is 4K random access reads and writes. There is virtually nothing better than this:
http://swag.raspberrypi.org/collections/...gb-sd-card

However if the problem is with playing 1080p video, it may be your network settings that need investigating.
Hard to claim that its network settings as my Win7 machines work fine, be it Windows Media Center or XBMC 13.2.

Plus, I spent about $200 replacing router, one 8 port switch and two 4 port switches, plus a few cables with CAT6 ones. There is a noticeable difference as it no longer Buffers the video feed.

The odd thing is that watching Thursday Night Football on the NFL Network, the 1080p video pauses pretty often (forces me to switch to 480p and Zoom). But since the same game is broadcast on CBS, I can switch to that, same game, same 1080p stream, zero problems.
Ok,found a Sony 16GB UHS/Class 10 SDHC card in a digital camera of mine, tested it. 25mb/s read, 12mb/s write speeds. Imaged it with open elec. Got the new case with fan, copper heatsinks, etc.

Normally channels like ESPN or NFL Network would pause the video (for a 5-6 seconds) within minutes of loading the channel. Well 15 minutes go by and I got a single pause for 2 seconds, not bad, makes this watchable.

At some point next year, Comcast will convert to MPEG4 and I suspect these problems will go away. Since I cancel Cable after the NFL Superbowl, its not important that this work year round.

Thanks for the advice!
These are even faster. 25MB/s Read - 22MB/s Write. Exactly what I need as MPEG2 Transport streams files are huge.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...12K1NB1622

Basically solved the last of the glitches.
Before everyone rushes out to buy new micro SDHC cards, I ask are you overclocking your sdram to its Max. ?

My over clock settings on my B+ (with a iPad USB power supply)
arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=6
over_voltage_sdram=4

The reason I ask is that even with an el cheap 16GB Sandisk micro SDHC getting around 3.5MB/s write speed I get nill problems with 1080i Live TV MPEG2 Transport streams.
Even those that report Codec info of around 10-12MB/s.

A lightweight skin with not a lot of textures like Eminence may help.

Probably a daft suggestion, but might explain why one channel was working and the other not. Have you purchased the codecs and added them to config.txt? In the UK, some channels are broadcasting HD on mpeg2 and some h264. The mpeg2 ones stutter if the license isn't purchased.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB or SDHC Storage: Does it matter?0