WIP offical WiMM logo/fanart competition.
For what it's worth, I don't like acronyms, and I like retronyms even less (where you start with the word and work out what it might mean)... people rapidly forget what they mean, or get tied up in knots over whether they should be in capitals, or have full stops between the letters, or...

I'd just pick a word that you like - perhaps something that has some conceptual link to what the addon does, perhaps not - and go from there. I don't know, the first ones that come to mind are Mekon, Sirocco, Maestro, Kino, Sahgol, Wombat, Yog-Sothoth, Carnac, but the list is limited only by available dictionaries.

If you want to go down the acronym route, I'd start with the concepts and then juggle up the letters: Remote, Advanced, Web, Media, Control, Manage/Manipulate, Edit, Total, Complete, Extreme, Central, and so on. A true acronym should also be pronounceable, which goes a long way to avoiding the 'XMBC' nonsense.
(2014-10-02, 16:53)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2014-10-02, 16:46)uNiversal Wrote: I like Janus but there is already projects named janus https://github.com/carlhuda/janus http://janus.lib.cam.ac.uk/db/node.xsp?i...blic/about and https://ww3.janus.com/Janus/Retail/HomePage and https://www.janus.com/ so thats probably a no-no.

Presumably those 3 don't get confused about each other and you're not going to try and trademark are you?

Call it Janus Media Manager then JMM can be registered on github.

But of course I'm biased Smile

No trademarks or anything of the sort, no domains and definitely no registrations. Anything that costs money is OUT. There are no project donations at all, heck project is struggling to keep development up.

@Prof Yaffle

Most definetly. on that note.

WE -- could both be just the word or an acronym (Web Editor). Keeping it on the simple side. Would probably also work ok for the iconification. WE - the kodi Media Manager. which just reminded me. I forgot the favicon.
Block - to manage the media blocks that make up your library

Foundation - to manage the foundations of your library

Smile
(2014-10-02, 16:55)jjd-uk Wrote: Have time to spare now the Kodi logo thread is closed Big Grin

Well I'm also working with Wyrm on his X-TV Saf Skin to make it fresher, and on a completely new skin. So not much time, but it's "just" a logo Smile
(2014-10-02, 17:05)jjd-uk Wrote: Block - to manage the media blocks that make up your library

Foundation - to manage the foundations of your library

Smile

Block + 1
Any more takers? The name portion will be closed soon and will be put to a vote so get your ideas up and going please.
A final throwaway thought, then... if you're thinking in terms of "media blocks" and something to manipulate them, you open up the thought process of "Trowel" or similar. A poor example, maybe, but "it's called <blob> because it's a tool that you use on <blob>" has some validity.

Easel ... artwork.
Mortar ... (media) blocks.
Bedrock ... solid foundation for everything.

... you get the idea. It's not necessarily a very good one, but it's there all the same Smile
(2014-10-08, 03:45)uNiversal Wrote: Any more takers?

...just a little brainstorming...

'MetaMan': 'metadata manager' (although there's a book out there with this name, see link...)

But I think 'Meta' ('MetaWeb', 'KoMeta', 'KoMet'...) would fit also...

'FanMan': fanart manager (lame, I know)

'Menia': media mania Wink

'Koma': kodi mania Rofl (it's german for coma btw...)
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
If the name is too long it's going to get an acronym of a couple of letters anyway... Looks like a straight letter combination is bound to be forgotten and in it's place we'll see MM in the forum.... I suggest something a bit more common, easy to not forget and still have some relevance. Perhaps M&M would offer some reference point while giving the kind of recognition needed. (Chocolate & M&M Meats Shops here in Canada) I'm kinda partial to BAMM, pretty hard to forget that and it's international, but if obscurity is important then KMM still has a bit of pizazz.

I don't read too much in a name, the program defines itself.
(2014-10-08, 17:24)PatK Wrote: I don't read too much in a name, the program defines itself.

+1
The renaming portion part is now closed, there's 60 days for the 3 parts the naming selection portion had 10 days, next I will collect the names and try making a poll somewhere.

Thank you to those who have participated. Smile

Watch this space.

Use the link below to see poll and take part

http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/vote....fd897a9879

For poll results see http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/resul...fd897a9879

Just as a reminder the poll is running until the 31st of this month, you can see the progress of the voting as above.
Ok folks the results are in.

Link to poll results result by beath-path

1. WIMM
2. BAMM

Wimm was a interim name, picked on a whim and apparently the one the majority of voters agreed it should be the next name for XWMM against the other contenders.

Thank you to all people who took part in this vote.

What happens next?

Next, the last remainder parts are all in one part. the (logo/icon/favicon design and fanart) entries is now open. see the guidelines on first post.

Entries for this portion will be here for a about 30 days the the valid entries will be picked and put on a similar poll, with the vote lasting 10 days or so.

Good luck.
OK, just now I made something super simple with the letter W. No PS.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

I like the red one mostly. Looks like a wire and a man(ager) Smile
Not sure what we want as a logo, letter W? 2 letters (WM)? whole word? No letters, just something related to "media manager"?
wow that was fast Smile

I think the logo doesn't have to be made out of the name, if that makes sense?

It would be nice to have a logo that says something about it being a web interface manager and the name of the program doesn't have to be overdone like the red one or green one. (even though I like the general ideas shown there for W)

The main target is 256x256 and that automatically gets scaled down on kaytoats or dif views, Except for favicon that needs a specific design.

The format is fine Logo top and name at bottom in plainer font. Logo top/ then WiMM or wimm name on bottom? (not bothered about the capitalization or fact its an acronym though the doted i looks nicer)

So to recap: strong logo, simple font for name. As long as logo works as a favicon then sure, go nuts.

Lets see what gives Wink
@uNiversal: OK thanks for the clear explanation Smile

Yes I'm doing things fast so we can understand what we want as a logo, then I'll make the "pretty" version Smile
There's so many manager/windows/web icons out there so it would be cool to make something more unique, it just needs to tell what this is used for.

So, more ideas:

Manager+media(play).

Pointer/cursor+filmrool.

Link between media.

Idea of first screen and second smaller screen, with a bond. I really like this.

Pointer/cursor/play with waves.
or

TV+editor(pen).

Someone suggested the idea of blocks earlier, so blocks.
and

My favourite idea, for now, is the "2 screens", I think it's appropriate.
Suggestions?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
offical WiMM logo/fanart competition.3