Android Rikomagic MK902 II RK3288 XBMC/KODI unstable/bugs
I got recently a Rikomagic MK902 II (RK3288) wit Android KitKat 4.4.2 installed. The box is very fast and didn't have any issue so far except with XBMC/SPMC/KODI.

I tried first the XBMC version already installed out of the box and got a lot of issues like in the middle of the movie the box crashed and reseted. Then I installed the Kodi Alpha3 version for Android and then SPMC (Downloaded from Google Play) but stilll same issues. Another issue is that Youtube pulgin is not working, each time I start a video the box does a reset. I start the videos remotely on the Ipad (XBMC Constellation).

Did someone run into same issues? Do you know if these issues are related to the very new hardware platform and XBMC/KODI is not really supported yet on this BOX?

To be honest I bought this box to run XBMCConfused
Hi

Yes I had the same issues, the issue is that the box overheats, the mini sticks get really hot with xbmc and youtube and restarts itsself.(This is a common problem with xbmc on android sticks)

How I fixed mine
I had an old router/mother board with a mini heatsink and pulled it off, removed the old glue/sticky pad and then cut a square in my mk809iii over the CPU, I also drilled some small holes around the box (be careful of the wifi antennas! if they rip you are done)

I put some thermal paste on the cpu and made the cut hole i made a little smaller than the cpu, and pushed the mini heatsink through the hole so it was held in place and stayed holding it over the cpu.

Since doing this my stick doesn't even get hot playing full 1080p movies, it stays really cool and has never restarted or shutdown once.

Other things to note, the wifi atenna placement inside these boxes is terrible, the signal is about 10x lower than my other devices, what i did it put the atenna on the outside of the box (make a little hole and let the wire hang out) stick it to a piece of card or paper, my wifi speed is about 5x faster.

Here are some videos to help you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfcgJNOhafA - add heatsink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWcsHH8teAM - improve wifi

Hope this helps!
I fixed the issues so far!

I deleted SPMC and KODI ALPHA3. I installed XBMC 13.2 (stable version) an the results are the following:

YouTube Plugin issue:

Initially after installing XBMC 13.2 the same issue happened. I changed the Youtube configuration from "Always choose the best quality for my connection and player size 720p" to "Ask before playing Video" and now it works perfect (althought there is a bug that should be fixed)

Reset watching HD (1080p) fixed in XBMC 13.2.

The tv box is not getting really hot during HD movies playback. I didn't try any other android device yet so cannot compare this tv box with others but I guess a tv stick gets hotter as a tv box because of its size.

In general amazing picture quality and no crashes anymore.

I will delete XBMC and install again SPMC to check if YouTube is working with same settings as in XBMC 13.2 and check stability playing 1080p movies.

I will keep you informed!

Thanks to the XBMC developers for the great work!
I had stability issues as well (with a gotham nightly build) and found that MediaCodec was the cause for me.

I just deactivated it and use libstagefreight instead:
I will try this when I get home cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rikomagic MK902 II RK3288 XBMC/KODI unstable/bugs0