enabling subtitles, need advice on how to proceed
(2014-11-11, 00:32)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2014-11-10, 20:28)poopyurinal Wrote:
(2014-10-07, 17:45)krustyreturns Wrote: In my testing ccextractor works well for converting CC to srt files. This can be used by our backend to automatically generate srt files for recorded tv - once they are done recording. But like Ace says, this is not a solution for live tv. Although we have a method for generating srt files on the fly for live tv, there is currently no way to get kodi to use this srt data for the live tv stream (as mentioned in the first post).

I don't know which is more difficult, getting ffmpeg to decode CC/TT, or getting it to input srt data that is being compiled for live streams. As a generic solution though for pvr backends, I think there is merit in the second method.

@krustyreturns

Did you find a way to automatically run ccextractor on completed recordings from Windows Media Center as the backend? I am trying to do this and struggling to find an automated way. I used to use NextPVR as my backend and I could run a postprocessing.bat file to run ccextractor, but I don't know how to do that using WMC as the backend. I'd appreciate any help or ideas!
@puppyurinal In ServerWMC you can configure "ExternalActions" to be triggered by recording state changes (eg a recording completing). You have to do it in the config file itself, we didnt add a UI for it. Here is a post explaining more details on what options are available: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1605365

@scarecrow420

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for, though the exact locations of various parts (ccextractorwin.exe, the *.bat file, etc) as well as the exact syntax I need to make this work are beyond me at this point. I'm going at it by trial and error, but if krustyreturns has a working system, maybe he can provide some insight? This system is so much better than my previous one with NextPVR thanks to you guys. I just need the subtitles up and running for the wife factor...

Thanks for all your hard work!
What is the status of CC support for live tv?

I'm a new user and I have a similar situation with my wife having hearing impairment and they are a must. I'm trying to make the jump from my ceton echo's to using raspberry pi's and Kodi.

I also cannot get it to work on recordings either.
(2015-01-13, 17:52)-MG- Wrote: What is the status of CC support for live tv?
Looks like some people are now working on support for Close Captions, see discussion here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=144517

Support for CEA 608 and 708 CC formats seems to been added via PR #6172 and #6181
it seems that these guys have found a way to extract teletext subtitles from wtv files - I tested on some danish recordings from WMC, and it worked.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tsubget/

so maybe they will share the code
From researching and reading into things and trying to translate programmer speak into common speak, I think I've extracted that live TV closed captions will be working in version 15 of Kodi. I believe it is working now, in beta versions or nightly builds, but I choose to wait for the stable release version. I've been waiting a long time for this. Lots of people are interested in using a true Windows Media Center alternative.
(2015-05-05, 18:43)Joshua B Wrote: From researching and reading into things and trying to translate programmer speak into common speak, I think I've extracted that live TV closed captions will be working in version 15 of Kodi. I believe it is working now, in beta versions or nightly builds, but I choose to wait for the stable release version. I've been waiting a long time for this. Lots of people are interested in using a true Windows Media Center alternative.

closed captions is how subtitles are handles in the US - in Europe we use DVB subtitles, teletext subtitles or DVB teletext subtitles

from what I can read Isengard will get Closed captions support - the european subs based on teletext are not included yet, but hopefully they will (pure DVB subtitles are reported to work in the UK).
Then we can also skip WMC in Europe :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
enabling subtitles, need advice on how to proceed0