Solved mkv-embedded (ass) subtitles no showing
Hello,

I recently manually updated to OpenELEC 4.0.7, featuring Gotham (afaik version xbmc-13-84725b0), latest stable version because I was stuck with 3.x versions.
However, the embedded (ass/ssa) subtitles of my mkvs are not dispayed anymore. If usefull, I run OpenELEC 4.0.7 on the first version of Xtreamers.

Seeing this thread I think the bug is with kodi, not the openELEC packaging.
Before noticing the ass format dedicated option in the subtitles settings menu, I thought it was the format that was the problem. So I tried extracting the subtitle using mkvtoolnix and converting it using ffmpeg to srt. It worked (up to the placement of the subs of course). Then one of the subs embedded something that ffmpeg didn't liked, and the conversion failed. However the subtitle was displayed, so I tried and indeed, as long as the subtitle is external, no matter the format (srt or ass), it is displayed (there are some subtitle display weirdnesses with ass thought).
I do not have any mkvs with srt embedded so I cannot try this combination.

Is this bug really from Kodi? And is this bug known? Is there something I can do?
Thanks for your answers.
Welcome to forums.

OE uses fernetmenta XBMC source code which differs from official mainline code, I know that this was fixed in Kodi official mainline code a couple of days ago so try the very latest nightlies then.

On mainline https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5413 <- that fixed it.

Whayt you linked to that bug is severely outdated anyway and likely doesn't apply to OE, not relevant as it was fixed on Gotham final. But who knows. Trying to chase the differences beween OE xbmc and Offical XBMC is not my interest.
Thanks a lot for this really fast and precise answer!
I'll look at the latest builds for OE, worst case scenario I'll cross compile one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mkv-embedded (ass) subtitles no showing0