Knockd won't run on boot
Hello,

I am trying to install and configure knockd on my PI. I have installed it, edited /etc/default/knockd to activated, and manually started it with

Code:
# service knockd start

I am using knockd to reboot and shutdown the PI. I have no problem ssh'ing into it, but explaining all this to my wife when I'm gone . . . She would be lost.

When I manually start the daemon, it works flawlessly. The problem is, knockd won't restart on boot, but must be manually started.

I have configured and checked, and it is enabled at all runlevels but 0 and 6 as can be seen here:

Code:
# ls rc*/*knockd*
rc0.d/K01knockd  rc1.d/S17knockd  rc2.d/S17knockd  rc3.d/S17knockd  rc4.d/S17knockd  rc5.d/S17knockd  rc6.d/K01knockd

I tried installing the service as a boot after editing the /etc/init.d/knockd startup to include runlevel 1.

I am assuming that raspbmc runs as the single-user runlevel (I could be wrong). Then I ran:

Code:
insserv -v knockd

This is what gave me the above rc*.d settings.

As a last resort, I added this to /etc/rc.local:

Code:
service start knockd

And it still did not start on reboot.

How do I get knockd added to startup?

BTW, this is weird, too:

Code:
# runlevel
unknown

How does it no know the runlevel?

With thanks,
Nathan
What does this have to do with XBMC?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Might be best to ask here: http://forum.osmc.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=7
Raspbmc uses upstart. You'll find the init scripts in /etc/init

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Knockd won't run on boot0