1st Gen Apple TV
Hi, I got 1st Generation Apple TV and I wonder if it is worth the effort to jailbreak? I understand that I would need to convert it into linux OS in order for it to work with XBMC or Kodi (new name).

My question would be if Kodi is what I am looking for?? I want something that can stream live TV show that is actually on TV right now.. such as FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN, etc. HBO?? HBOGO?? Stuff like that.. or am I just dreaming??

I am deaf so really audo/voice is not important to me.. but a plus if I have guest coming over and want to hear sounds.. so subtitle is more important than voice..

I have Apple TV 3 but I'll save it for something worth paying for.. Just that I wasn't aware of Jailbreaking and I will be moving back to my home in the rural from the city.. so trying to find a way to save money than to spend on Directv or Dishtv.

Thanks!
XBMC/Kodi does not provide content itself. You must use either local video files or find add-ons or services to provide content, and we only help people out with the non-bootleg/pirate services per our forum rules (wiki).
So what is the point of having Kodi if Apple TV already provide similar service? I mean, Apple TV already have add-on that provide third party service such as Netflix, HuluPlus, etc. There are already few channels I frequent on cable such as A&E, FX, Discover, etc. Just a shame AMC is not included but few shows can be seen through one of add-on.
(2014-10-05, 15:10)wkheathjr Wrote: So what is the point of having Kodi if Apple TV already provide similar service? I mean, Apple TV already have add-on that provide third party service such as Netflix, HuluPlus, etc. There are already few channels I frequent on cable such as A&E, FX, Discover, etc. Just a shame AMC is not included but few shows can be seen through one of add-on.

Local videos in mkv or avi container mainly. There are also many addons available that the apple tv does not have since anybody can make an xbmc addon but not an apple tv addon.
Thanks!

So just to clarify.. The only reason many people jailbreak Apple TV or such is so that they could add "torrent" or purchased iTunes movies/TV Shows/music to the device and watch it at convenience time? And there is NO such a thing as watching Live TV streaming such as local TV channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX)?

Or is there something I am missing? Forgive me for asking as I am not really tech savvy anymore.. kinda walked away from that stuff 10+ years ago.
Yeah you can watch live TV but you need a backend to do the tuning/receiving of the signal. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR for more info.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Ok, that help..

ok.. I guess I will go ahead and start with converting Apple TV G1 with Linux OS so I can use XBMC or Kodi. According to wiki, Linux OS is necessarily on first Gen ATV to be able to use latest version of XBMC.

Unless otherwise suggested?? And if you have any suggest before I start anything, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Quote:The only reason many people jailbreak Apple TV or such is so that they could add "torrent" or purchased iTunes movies/TV Shows/music to the device and watch it at convenience time?

Itunes bought movies and tv shows will not work. But the others you mentioned will. You can also rip movies yourself.

Quote:And if you have any suggest before I start anything, I would really appreciate it.

If you plan on watching hd videos your going to need to get a chrystal hd card. There pretty cheap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1st Gen Apple TV0