Tips on Xbmcbuntu DVB-S card?
Hi there,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a DVB-S card that will work ok with Xbmcbuntu out of the box? Or with relatively little messing around.

I don't want to spend a fortune at the moment, just after an inexpensive card/Usb to try this out. I previously bought a Hauppauge WinTv nova Dvb-t stick but the SNR was so low that I could barely pick up any channels or get a signal even with a booster so thought I might try the S route instead.

I have been looking at a Hauppauge WinTv Nova-S SE on eBay, any thoughts?

I am in the UK and would be after freesat channels, not too worried about the HD ones at the moment.

Thanks guys!
Probably best place to look up your hardware is here -> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S_Devices
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Jayzif - if you get a reasonable Freeview signal with a set top box or IDTV with a rooftop aerial - then your USB stick should work OK. I have very few problems here.

There WAS an issue with the Linux drivers not enabling the internal Low Noise Amp in some DVB-T sticks - I wonder if that could be the issue?

I've run a number of DVB-T/T2 USB sticks, a couple of DVB-T PCI cards and some PCI, PCI-E and USB DVB-S/S2 tuners over the years.

Under Linux I'd avoid TBS DVB-S/S2 cards sadly - they're great in Windows but their Linux drivers are not-what-they-could-be.

The Linux TV database linked to above is usually a good starting point - though as you'll discover you sometimes need to download firmware and copy it to the right location for the Linux drivers to successfully initialise your tuner.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tips on Xbmcbuntu DVB-S card?0