Help appreciated please
Hello,
We moved out to Gibraltar and bought an MX box thingy with XBMC installed. It didn't work initially but after a lot of googling and helpful videos on YouTube we got it working.
Recently we found that less and less add ones were working... GoMovies, GoTv, mash up were working great at first but just stopped.
After a lot of faffing about I uninstalled xbmc and reinstalled to start the set up again.... Now I can't get the config wizard to work at all. I don't know whether I'm meant to be using the 'fusion.TV addons' address or the xbmc hub one, although neither are working. Is there a fault somewhere? Am I doing something wrong?
I am managing to watch UK TV through FilmOn/expatTv after installing through add on installer. I just need something to watch movies through.
Help x
We don't make any config wizard, we don't provide content, we don't provide videos, we don't provide services. We make XBMC/Kodi, and that's it. You bought some box where someone else pre-installed a bunch of junk, great, that's not our problem. We are not a "free TV OMG" program. Everything you are talking about is something added via add-ons that other people provide, not us. Most, if not all, of those add-ons are for bootleg video services which we don't support and won't help you with per our forum rules (wiki). Even if we did allow it, you have to go ask whoever made those add-ons, because those aren't supposed to come with XBMC/Kodi.
I assumed xbmc/kodi whatever its called now was to watch TV and films through. The reason I thought that is because it's plastered all over the internet.
Could you please tell me exactly what xbmc media centre/kodi is actually for? It's advertised MASSIVELY as a way to watch TV and films.
Hopefully once I know it's purpose I can make some progress with it.
Also, I never once implied that me buying 'some box preloaded with junk' was 'your problem'. Jeeez chill.
The massive advertising for using it as a free-tv source is one of the major reasons we're renaming it to Kodi, as well as why we trademarked Kodi. We didn't really have the tools in place to stop people from abusing the XBMC name.

XBMC/Kodi is designed primarily to be used with a user's local video file collection. Of course, you can use online streaming services as well through the highly flexible add-on system, but if you need help with one of those then you probably need to contact whoever made that add-on or whoever is providing the streaming service.
Hi TeleAddict, I've been reading the forums a lot and have seen this sort of issue come up. I'm not going to be able to help with the add ons as i'm less that competent with them as it is!

XBMC/Kodi is primarily software for use in Home theatre installations, so if you have no add ons at all it will let you watch the movies stored on a network location, or listen to music on a network or local drive.

The fact it is so good at this, and aloows for third parties (open source code) to build software add on modules for it leaves the whole thing open - in a good and bad way - to false claims and advertising.

Those who are plastering the net with the claims you mention are usually not affiliated with the hardworking team that actually write the core application, they are often hardware resellers looking to make a swift buck of the back of some free software and add ons that will allow the viewing of pirate material/streams.

I hope that helps a little.

Lol too late! beaten to it!
Thank you CustomIce, yes that has helped and explained. .
As a completely new user I'm sure I'm not the first to assume that xbmc and the add ons that were installed were part of the same thing.
Although I don't think I deserved the snappy response I got from Ned Scott, I understand now that you must get this sort of question a lot.
Just to clarify.... I'm assuming that the renaming will also mean that these third parties will no longer be able to build and add 'add ons'.... Which will stop any piracy/free tv?
No problem.

The responses can be a bit sharp at times, but to be fair there are so many people that make exactly the same assumption as you did, and I can understand why.

This falls back to the rename, the team decided to protect interests that trademarking the name would allow greater control in it's use while still preserving the open source nature of the platform.

It is likely something that has been long overdue, and will hopefully make the whole Kodi experience that bit better.
(2014-10-06, 14:34)TeleAddict Wrote: Thank you CustomIce, yes that has helped and explained. .
As a completely new user I'm sure I'm not the first to assume that xbmc and the add ons that were installed were part of the same thing.
Although I don't think I deserved the snappy response I got from Ned Scott, I understand now that you must get this sort of question a lot.
Just to clarify.... I'm assuming that the renaming will also mean that these third parties will no longer be able to build and add 'add ons'.... Which will stop any piracy/free tv?

Snappy response because this subject has been dealt with hundreds of times here. Unfortunately you are just poster 'hundreds +1'.

Change of name will not stop people adding piracy addons, it'll stop (hopefully) those undesirables from advertising the resulting product as 'kodi' therefore leaving us in peace.

Peace.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah, my bad on that. Sorry for the snippy reply.

As nickr says, it will hopefully stop (or at least greatly lessen) the association between those add-ons and the software itself, but it shouldn't impact what others choose to do on their own. We want to avoid the association, but we believe giving our users the freedom to make their own choices. Personally, I have no problem with video piracy, and I neither encourage or condemn it, but it puts the project in a tough spot when it gets to the point where people think we're synonymous with "piracy". Even if it wasn't those kinds of videos, it's hard to redirect people to the proper place they need to go to get support, since we only handle the core part of it. Like CustomIce says, sometimes XBMC is a little too good at what it does and making everything seem integrated :)
Thanks for clearing all that up. I now have a much better understanding and can understand your frustration. Hope the future of Kodi is free from rubbish android boxes preinstalled with junk ;-) X

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help appreciated please0