Cache images so that HD doesn't spin up
hello. over the past week i've started looking at how to modify an existing xbmc script so that it will cache images rather than having to spin up the hd when it needs to display a controlimage.

this is the original bit of script to put the image on the screen:

Quote:self.frame = xbmcgui.controlimage(w - 359, h - 138, 77, 103, 'someimage.jpg')
self.addcontrol(self.frame)

the way i thought i could achieve the cache is to stick the controlimage into an array, and pull it out of the array (which i assumed would be in memory) to write it to the screen, e.g.

Quote:preloadedimages = {} # used to pre-load images

def cacheimage(x, y, w, h, the_filename):
global preloadedimages
preloadedimages[the_filename] = xbmcgui.controlimage(x, y, w, h, scriptfolder + the_filename)

def cacheimages(w, h):
cacheimage(w - 282, h - 138, 222, 103, imagedialog)

def cachedimage(the_filename):
global preloadedimages
return preloadedimages[the_filename]

class initialise(xbmcgui.windowdialog):
def (self):
w = self.getwidth()
h = self.getheight()
cacheimages(w, h)

class main(xbmcgui.windowdialog):
def (self):
self.bg = cachedimage(imagedialog)
self.addcontrol(self.bg)

despite all this, when it adds the control to the screen the hard drive will spin up. is this a limitation with controlimages? or is there a technique to make cached images work?

many thanks in advance,

matt.
caching the way you expect is not supported.

how many images do you need. can you use an array for your images. i did this in poker timer ii for the clock display. they are small images though.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
oh cool, i'll download a copy of your script and take a look. thanks for the heads up.

i'm not caching too many images; probably around 5, plus the ability for a user to add their own. most are 77x77 pixels. i'll watch out because i don't want the xbox to start running out of memory just when this script is running.
that many at that size won't be a problem.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
is there a way to pass a proccessed image using PIL to a xbmc image object without first saving the file
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cache images so that HD doesn't spin up0